Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tired of Complaints, Time for Cup?

Default Tired of Complaints, Time for Cup?

I've ranted about this before, but I think I'm at my wits end. DCP has made *yet another* comment about switching to fast flow nipples, despite my telling her I was not going to switch. I REALLY love DS's DCP (she's a GREAT woman), but needless to say, I'm just tired of the constant complaining!

DS will be transitioning to the 6 month to 1 year room in another 1 1/2 months, and I KNOW there will be even MORE complaining once he's there. Plus, in August (when DS is 8 months), I'll be giving him to a new DCP, and I don't know. I can just imagine a world of trouble.

So, anyway, DS is now 4 months and 2 weeks.. Is it possible to start using a cup, instead of a bottle? If so, how do I start this process? Will a cup cause problems with breastfeeding? Does the baby hold the cup himself, or can you feed it to him like you would a bottle? So many questions!
    Mom to Ricky, born 11/28/07, 8lbs 8.5oz
    13lbs by 2/12/08!

in the morning, @ work and again @ night!

to

Default Re: Tired of Complaints, Time for Cup?

Your pumped bm is precious. Since it may take a while to adjust to the sippy, I would not recommend putting bm in a sippy at this stage. I started with water at 6-7 months. It is not recommended to give water prior to 6 months for a bf baby. You could always give an empty cup at this point so he can start getting used to it. As to your DCP, print out that bf experts say only slow flow nipple. A lot of DCP think they are experts since they have been with many babies. However, most are not experts with bf babies. If you don't want to print out the material, then you can just ignore the comments or try to find out why she thinks there is a problem. Is he fussy or irritable? Does your DH ever give a bottle? How does he act with your DH? I know it is recommended that bf babies only use the slow flow nipples. My DD started getting frustrated with these at around 3 months so we did move to the medium flow ones for a while then back to the slow flow. I am not recommending you do that but if you lo is frustrated when bottlefeeding you might want to think about ways to assist your provider in easing the frustration.

Good luck!
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

you could just say... wow thoose are new nipples?
    And then let it drop.

I would not be pushed around by my DCP. You pay them for a service and they should do what you want (within reason of course) and a slow flow nipple is not exactly a HUGH inconvinience (sp) My DCP wanted to start foods before 6 months, and I just said thanks for the advice, but I really want to wait. and of conversation. It was hard for me to stand up for myself at first, but as a mom, you gotta start somewhere, might as well be the nipple you use right? good luck Momma, you are doing great!
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

It's just frustrating. He's not fussy, and when we give him a bottle at home, he takes MAYBE 10 minutes. Plus, I've seen her feed other babies and it takes about the same time, so I don't understand why MY baby is the difficult one!
    Mom to Ricky, born 11/28/07, 8lbs 8.5oz
    13lbs by 2/12/08!

in the morning, @ work and again @ night!

to

What reason does she give for wanting to change?

I would absolutely ignore this. It is your decision. You are not asking her to move the moon. A slow-flow bottle is not a huge inconvenience, for Pete's sake!

Our dcp did the exact same thing to us... when DD was in the 6 weeks to 6 months room, one of her caregivers said DD was getting frustrated with the slow flow nipples... I kind of ignored her and blew it off at first... then the same caregiver brought it up again, a few days later and I just said, "In order to maintain our breastfeeding relationship, I would prefer to stay with the slow flow nipples." The one thing I did do was change from latex to silicone nipples (still slow-flow), but the flow is a teeny bit faster from the silicone nipples... However, DD is now about 6.5 months old and has moved up to the 6-12 months room at dc, and the new caregiver said the same thing as the old caregiver... I basically just repeated myself and said that we will be staying with the slow flow nipples as long as possible. End of conversation.

Besides that, I have given her a bottle several times recently (she was due to be fed when I was picking her up from daycare, and they had already warmed her bottle...) She drank the bottle just fine. So I don't know what these dcp are complaining about. We are now going to start working on a sippy cup with DD... we are starting out with just water... Also, we are trying a sports bottle too, I let her practice in the tub.

Sorry this was so long, but I guess my suggestion would be to just be clear to your dcp your reasons for sticking with the slow-flow nipple, and then end the conversation.

HTH,
    Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

yeah, you pay them so why wouldnt they do what you want?? picky people!! sorry if this is dumb, but why are we to only use slow nipples? to be more like breastfeeding?
    mom to a wonderful son: 7/5/05
    and beautiful little daughter: 1/17/08
    7lb 11oz at birth
    14.0 on 3/25/08!!
    17.0 on 4/26/08
    newly tandem nursing, born-again mama

You know what I don't understand. Why does any baby "graduate" beyond slow flow nipples? Wouldn't it be best to teach our children to eat slowly to help them recognize satiety? And as for babies getting frustrated, how often does that really happen? The baby on a slow flow nipple who has never experienced a fast flow nipple doesn't know what he is missing...