Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: An ongoing battle with my supply

Default An ongoing battle with my supply

Hi everyone. First post for me. So that makes me a newbie. My name is Tobi. I am a mom to two boys: Nathan almost 6yrs (BF for a few weeks, FTM syndrome and not knowing what I was doing I regrettable threw in the towel) and Christopher 7.5mos (BF with supplementing)

For about 2 mos now I have dealt with a supply issue. Let me take you back to when Chris was first born.

When LO (=little one) was first born I was getting some really bad latches on the left side to the point that it cause a open wound on the left nipple. I get the latch corrected but every time I feed on that side he would re-open the wound. So I decided to just pump on that side and offer the right breast until it healed. Well someone had told me why go through all that trouble when you can just feed solely on the right side without problem. So I mistakenly stopped pumping the left and feed on the right only. Everything was fine for a while.

Fast-forward to when LO was about 4.5 mos old. I started to notice that we were not lasting long between feedings, like he just wasn't getting full, and the number of wet diapers really decreased. It wasn’t until about 5 mos that I went back to a lactation consultant to discover a drop in supply. I was only making 2 ounces on the right side and a few drops from the left. They recommended that I introduce a SNS feeder to use on the left (with 2 ounces FF- I didn't have any BM left in the freezer) this way LO would get something while at the same time stimulating the breast to make more. They also recommended Fenugreek and blessed thistle (3 caps 3 times a day of each) and prescribed Reglan (couldn't take it due to the side effects). Unfortunately the SNS feeder wasn't a big hit with LO, in fact he hated it! So I stopped using the SNS feeder and just tried to put him to the breast, which isn't usually for a long period since he isn't getting too much from there.

Ever since I continue to struggle with supply. At LO's 6 mos check up he fell to the 2% of his weight and the doctor showed concern and wanted me to supplement with at least 1 bottle a day (preferable at bedtime to encourage sleeping through the night) and 1 bottle through out the day as needed. But to only give it to him after our BF session was completed.

At 7mos we go back to the DR and LO has gained weight.

We are still not sleeping through the night and frankly I don't care about that anymore but we are still supplementing with FF because I am lucky to give him 2 ounces of BM from the right side every 2 hours.

So I am really thinking that I never should have given up on the left side and expected the right to be able to handle it all.

Here is what I have been doing to increase supply lately.
    Reglan at bedtime (due to the side effects it is the only time I can tolerate it)
    Fenugreek 4 capsules three times a day
    Increase water intake.
    Tried oatmeal (but don't really notice much of a boost)
    Prenatal
    I am also going to start Alfalfa and brewers yeast this week. I also got my hands on Anise oil (not pill form, anyone know if the oil is the same as the pill form?)
    Feed on demand but no more then 2 hours in-between including night feedings (usually 2-3). Offering the left breast with each feeding, I am almost tempted to re-introduce the feeder again.

Can anyone else think of any other tips and tricks that may help? I want to get everything back to 'normal' again! I have had my latch checked and it is fine according to the lactation consultant. I have been giving formula in a bottle no more them 3 times a day (between 4-6 ounces). Seriously I am willing to try anything at this point. I don't know what else I need to do! So I will really appreciate any advice on this as I don't want to give up yet, I am really wanting to go until LO is a year old.

Thanks ladies, and sorry this is so long.

Default Re: An ongoing battle with my supply

Looks like you are really busy! What huge load on your shoulders! We can see how hard you are struggling!

How long is baby nursing on the side without much milk?

Are you pumping that side at all?

How many wet/dirty diapers do you see in a 24 hours period?

Total amount supplementing?

Have you gotten your menstrual cycle back yet?

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Looks like you are really busy! What huge load on your shoulders! We can see how hard you are struggling!

How long is baby nursing on the side without much milk?

Are you pumping that side at all?

How many wet/dirty diapers do you see in a 24 hours period?

Total amount supplementing?

Have you gotten your menstrual cycle back yet?
    On the left side (the one without much supple) I am lucky to get him to nurse that side for no more then 5 minutes. He will pull off after about a minute and then I put him back this will go on for about 5 minutes when he gets aggrevated and upset.

I was pumping that side for about 10-20minutes after every feeding for about 1 week straight and am taking a bit of a break for a few days, got a little sore from all the pumping.

I can see ahout 6 wet diapers and a poppy diaper at least once a day while I supplement. Without supplementing then it is about 3 good wet diapers and a poopy at least once a week

Using about 16 oz in a 24 hour period to supplement with

I have not gotten my period back yet, well a few spots here and there but I also have the Mirena too.

I often read that some will have an over supply, how did they get an over supply? What did they do differently then most? I must say I wish I had an over supply though, much better then having an dimished supply. If only there was a majic shot that your doctor could give you that would make you become full of milk again in just a matter of hours.

bump. I will get back to this soon mama.

Try this link

http://motherlove.com/

They have good products to increase milk supply.
    You can order online or they have walk-in stores where they stock. Can find the store name and location on the website.

Hi tobi,
    I hope that you check back on this thread!
    Have you talked to your local leader?
    She can help beter then we can on-line.

are you pumping any on the bad side?

maybe some of the ideas here would help
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    Hi tobi,
    I hope that you check back on this thread!
    Have you talked to your local leader?
    She can help beter then we can on-line.

are you pumping any on the bad side?

maybe some of the ideas here would help
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    I haven't spoken with any local leaders. I have only visited the Lac consult at a local hospital a handful of times. I am feeding on the low side with every feed during daytime hours (dream feed on the right at night). I just started some more products and will start pumping again on that side through out the day but wonder how many times should I pump that side and is it better to pump before or after a feed? I am lucky to pump 1ml from that side, not sure what LO gets from there.