Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Scared

Default Scared

I'm not sure what to do...

My family is passing around the sick bug. My husband started it. He is a school teacher and the weekend before last he came down with a cold. Then I noticed a blister on my son's throat and he seemed fussy. I took him to the pedi on March 27th. He was negative for Strep, but they treated him anyways by giving him Augmenton(I think that is how you spell it). It gave him a HORRIBLE diaper rash. Now I am real sick. I have no voice, chest and head congestion.

My son was on the medicine for 10 days. What scares me is my son is running a temp of 101.5. He is acting fine. He isn't fussy, but the temp is scaring me to death. I am wondering if I am getting him sick again. Should I take him in? I know I should rely on my mothering instinct, but I question myself all the time. My husband turned out to be the better parent. Parenting came very natural for him. I would like some of your experienced mother's opinions.
    Thank You

BTW: My son is 6 months and was suppose to go in for his 6 month well baby shots tomorrow.
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

Default Re: Scared

skip the shots...
    With fever I tend to look at how the baby is acting?
    IS he still nursing?
    Playing?
    When they start laying around and crying it might be time for a dose of fever reliver....
    Here check out this dr sears link:
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T082100.asp

This is only my opinion. I would relax bc your baby is happy so he can't be feeling too bad. Of course, the fever is a concern. What I would do is give him baby tylenol. I hate medicine but I always resort to it for a fever. I only give my son up to the first line, I believe it's 2ml. That's the amount my ped told me to give him at two months. I'm supposed to give him 6ml but babies od easily to for me the less the better. It should go down w/in 30min. If it comes back then I would call and see if he can be seen today. The only reason I don't tell you to take him in is bc I feel that when ppl go into a hospital they're most likely going to bring something back with them. And, usually the only thing they tell you is give them medicine or try to use some unnecessary invasive procedure. But this is only my opinion, I'm sure more will come that will make making a decision more comfy. Good luck -I hope you guys feel better soon.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

I gave him Tylenol, which I hate doing, about an hour ago. The fever is down to 99.4 rectal. So it's better
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Thats much cooler...
    do you have some motrin to piggy back?
    Some times that works beter if you give the motrin and then the tynol for the next dose.

I think you should take a baby in if there fever gets up to 100, per my pedi. I would at least put in a call to them. Hope you are all better soon.

No, but I will have the hubby picks some up. I feel bad...I would get out and get him some, but I am so sick I can't

Thanks
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

I just took his temp again.... he is 99.1 rectal. I hope it stays down. I can't handle it if we both get sick.
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

How is your son now?
    I went through a month of illness in March - first a resp. infection, then the stomach flu with Thrush in between the two for good measure!
    Just keep nursing, whatever you do! That will keep providing your son with antibodies.
    If he keeps spiking a fever I would do as PP said and call your ped's doctor on call tonight.
    They will probably recommend what another PP said and say to alternate between baby Motrin and baby Tylenol, but I would check first.
    Good luck, and feel better!
    and lots of cloth diapers!

Estela Kimberly, born August 31, 2007 and Sasha Julia, born September 3, 2010