Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Are low supply periods normal?

Exclamation Are low supply periods normal?

Hi there,
    I'm nursing my 4mo son (my second time nursing-I nursed my first son for 3years and 7 months!) exclusively - meaning he has not ever had a bottle. I seem to go through this cycle where I have too much milk, get a clogged duct or mastitis, that clears up, then I notice that my milk suppy is really low and /or I am dry in the evenings where the night before I had plenty. Is this normal? Last week at his 4mo well child check up he hadn't gained as much or grew in length at all. Could this be because of dry or low periods of milk production?

This just happened again last night. He sucks and sucks but no swollowing for a few hours, then I seem to get some milk back. But in the morning I don't feel as full as usual.

I'm worried. But the Doc said he is perfectly healthy, he is rolling all over the place, he's happy, he sleeps well even at night (from about 9p-6a with a few short feedings.

Can not getting enough calories in a day effect milk supply?

Thanks!

Default Re: Are low supply periods normal?

Hello and ,

Not all babies gain weight at the same rate. If your doctor is not concerned about your baby's weight gain, there is probably nothing to worry about. How is his diaper output? How many wet/bm diapers per day?

Have your menstrual cycles returned? Some mothers notice a temporary dip in there supply that coinsides with their menstrual period.

It is not uncommon to experience a temporary dip in milk supply after a bout of mastitis as well. In either of these cases, increased nursing will bring your milk supply back up to normal. Have you explored reasons for your recurrent mastitis?

Caloric intake is not usually linked to milk supply. Studies have shown that even malnourished mothers can produce adequate milk to feed their babies. That being said, crash dieting in breastfeeding mothers is not recommended, and mothers with a history of eating disorders should stay in touch with their healthcare providers while they are breastfeeding. Paying attention to good nutrition and adequate fluid intake are important, but usually do not have a great impact on milk supply.

HTH. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Tiana

Thanks for your response!

You are right, his pediatrician is not concerned, he has more than 8 wet diapers/day and around 3 bm/day. But he went from the 50th percentile in the 2nd month to the 25th this month in weight/height. But here you are right again, all babies gain at their own pace. I'm just obsessing I guess.

We got through tonight alright. I took a nap for an hour after dinner.

I haven't begun my cycles yet.

I don't know the reason for my recurrent mastitis. I can just be going along thinking everything is fine and up pops a red sore spot on one breast, not in the same place, not on the same side. But I suspect that it might have to do with getting exhausted if that has anything to do with mastitis. I have 3 kids, one is a teenager, one is nine and thinks he is a teenager, and my 4mo.

I had mastitis with my first son 9 times!!! But I kept going for over 3 years. It finally worked itself out after 6 months or so. Hopefully I can hang in there that long again.

Thanks again!
    If anyone else has any experience with this I'd love to know about them!

I'm glad you're feeling better today. It's hard not to obsess about our little ones!

As to the recurrent mastitis, I hope that some other mothers on this board will share their experiences with you. In the meantime, here are a few links that you might find helpful:

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/repeatmastitis.html

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVMarApr93p19.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...-mastitis.html

Hang in there!

Tiana

Tiana,

If you get a chance to read this I thought I would tell you that I did indeed begin my cycles last night. I hope that this is what caused the dip in supply but I'm not sure.

Thanks for your help!

You're welcome! I hope that's all it was, too. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Tiana