Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: ow, ow, owwww!

Default ow, ow, owwww!

I don't know if the two are connected, but I figured I would ask. My DS (almost 7 weeks) has started spacing out feedings just a little during the days (but is nursing longer stretches when he does). As a result, I am getting just a touch engorged (not bad, just noticable). Yesterday I noticed a little bump under my arm. Thought it may be an ingrown hair or something, but this morning (after he slept 7 hours straight) I'm pretty sure it is a swolen lymph node ... pretty frickin painful, too! Is it something I should be worried about? Or just try hot compress and a tylenol? I've had them before (prior to baby) once or twice and they tend to resolve on their own ... just didn't know if the two things were connected anyone eelse dealt with this before?

Default Re: ow, ow, owwww!

I had one after I got home from the hospital. I didn't have any idea what was going on...I noticed it in the shower while shaving & my first thought was "Oh great, I have cancer ." I called the midwife about it (and about my c-section incision being icky) and she had me come in. The doc that looked at it said that it was probably nothing, but he wanted me to go to the surgical clinic to have it checked out (just in case ). I went thru weeks of ultrasounds and docs squeezing & pulling it & making it hurt even more than it already did before they said that it didn't look like cancer & was most likely a swollen lymph node. I'm supposed to go back in 3 months for a follow-up. If I were you, I'd keep an eye on it for a week or so & then if it didn't start to get better, I'd go see the doc. It's always better to be safe than sorry in these cases.
    Mommy to Mary Louise, born 6/28/05, Self weaned at 2 years and 2 months

Mommy to Craig Isaac, born February 16, 2008, Self weaned 3 years and 4 months
    parttime

Sometimes a milk duct will extend that far, so you might be experiencing a plugged duct. Here's info about what you can do to help it resolve if it is a plugged duct. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Thanks for the info and link. I'm going to keep an eye on it and I was planning on pumping a little moe anyway, so maybe that will help.