Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr. won't approve Herbs - Supply dropping

Default Dr. won't approve Herbs - Supply dropping

Last weekend I got sick with the flu and now my supply is really week. DS is 15 months and milk & soy protein intolerant so I'm really freaking out. His doctor's office won't officially approve fenugreek so what do i do? Any other herbs? I need to keep going for at least a few more months. The GI said we could try cows milk at 18 months. Please help!!!

Default Re: Dr. won't approve Herbs - Supply dropping

Keep nursing frequently, that's the best way to build your supply back up. You can also eat oatmeal (rolled oats, not instant) and drink plenty of water. It may take awhile for you to get back to normal, just keep nursing a lot until then!! You can see more (non LLL referenced) info here on other herbs
    Herbal remedies for increasing milk supply

I hope you are feeling better!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Nurse on demand. Treat this like you would a growth spurt or any other situation where your body is transitioning to meet your childs needs. It's all supply and demand. Don't try to pump, keep your baby at your breast and only worry about diapers. IF your diaper output is fine, then so is your baby!
    Also many women swear by oatmeal in the morning and I am pretty sure you can get fenugreek with out a prescription. Your doctor may not be able to endorse it because he/she doesn't know enough about it. But it's completely safe and I think you can get it at any heath food store. But you honestly may not need it. Just feed on demand for 3days and see how you feel. If you still think you need a boost, go to a health food store! Good luck!

Way too lazy for formula

Our dd is 7 months... and I have had the flu twice.... thank goodness, dd has never had so much as a sniffle. I have used fenugreek both times. It really helped with "supply-drop" as mine dropped significantly when I was sick! I got mine at GNC. It was like $13 or something for a LARGE bottle of em!
    I'm Jessi
    Proud mama to Breanah Grace 9/10/07, wife to Eric
    Happily, exclusively BF for 7 months

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    Nurse on demand. Treat this like you would a growth spurt or any other situation where your body is transitioning to meet your childs needs. It's all supply and demand. Don't try to pump, keep your baby at your breast and only worry about diapers. IF your diaper output is fine, then so is your baby! !

And you can definitely get fenugreek without a prescription. You can get it at the health store- or you can often find it among the spices in the ethnic food aisle at the grocery store. Look among the Indian spices for "Methi" or the Middle Eastern ones for "Hilbeh"- they're both names for fenugreek seeds. Just pop a teaspoon in hot water, drink the tea, and chug-a-lug the seeds!

You don't need a dr to approve it. The Fenugreek often works better when paired w/ blessed thistle or you can get more milk plus as well. I got mine at Whole Foods. It is NASTY, but I know a lot of moms have sworn by it.
    Jennifer, child passenger safety technician and mama to,
    AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), and Olivia (2/12/09)

Actually because of some preexisting conditions a mother does need a dr.s approval. If we say it is completely safe and then a mother has an acute reaction we would be at fault.
    Fenugreek is known to lower blood glucose levels. So if you are diabetic or hypoglycemic you need to proceed with caution. Here is a complete list of galactogogues http://www.bfmed.org/ace-files/proto...uesEnglish.pdf

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm definitely going to have a BIG bowl of Oatmeal in the morning. Diaper output is good right now, DS is just really frustrated at the breast and it is breaking my heart. I work full-time and I pump twice a day while at work. I'm nursing on demand at home and he's initiating switch feeding since this morning. Normally I can nurse a full session on one side but he's been switching every 2 minutes and really tugging and pulling to bring in the milk. I started my period today so I'm hoping in a few days things will go back to normal when that subsides. I just don't want to end up in a situation where I'm forced to wean. I'm just not ready yet!

i've found that "mother's milk tea" sold at GNC helped...good luck

Actually because of some preexisting conditions a mother does need a dr.s approval.
    Not to argue semantics, but no, a mom does not need the DR's approval to go buy it and use it. She may want to talk w/ her DR about the effects of it on her, but IME most DRs won't know anyways. I put off using fenugreek for a long time b/c I am prone to hypoglycemia and my lo is soy intolerant, both of which can be problems w/ fenugreek. We ended up having no problems w/ the fenugreek though it didn't really help.
    Jennifer, child passenger safety technician and mama to,
    AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), and Olivia (2/12/09)