Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ok so Im not there yet but the night

Default ok so Im not there yet but the night

NURSING IS DRIVING ME MAD. I dont mind once or twice but how the heck can I get her to stop the constant feed. PLEASE HELP ME. ANY IDEAS. If she nurses less the husband can come back to bed with us. He is on the couch. He needs sleep because he is a pilot. Otherwise he would be there with me. i posted a similar thread with little respnse. she is almost 1 and increasing her day rime feed is not helping. i think this is a learned behavior. from 2 on she is on every hour thx much. Should i put her in her crib and ignore her until 8. jk. any advice welcome aside from that
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

Default Re: ok so Im not there yet but the night

How far is she from 1?
    If she's very close maybe you could try Dr Gordon's "method"? You can find it here.
    It is developed for children OVER 1, but if you're really desperate you can try a little earlier maybe? Maybe making it even more gentle, like, doubling the times he suggests (like, instead of having one "pattern" for 2 days you can use it for 4-6 days, then move to the next stage?).
    I am not talking by experience, but I've read here on the board that some mums have used it with success...
    HTH, I feel for you!
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...

Quote Originally Posted by panzona View Post
    How far is she from 1?
    If she's very close maybe you could try Dr Gordon's "method"? You can find it here.
    It is developed for children OVER 1, but if you're really desperate you can try a little earlier maybe? Maybe making it even more gentle, like, doubling the times he suggests (like, instead of having one "pattern" for 2 days you can use it for 4-6 days, then move to the next stage?).
    I am not talking by experience, but I've read here on the board that some mums have used it with success...
    HTH, I feel for you!
    thx for your response, I appreciate it. Ill check it out. I love his book, she will be one literally in one month. You rock for responding. I get so desperate sometimes, I dont even look forward to sleeping

Does she take a pacifier? I've found that sometimes giving my little one the pacifier will help her go back to sleep if she doesn't need to eat. Abigail just turned a year and she has never slept through the night. She tends to go in phases where she'll be up every 1-2 hours and then for a short time she'll only get up once at night. I try to just hang in there and hope it will get better soon.

Now, I know many people on this post would disagree, but what worked for us was transitioning our son out of our bed into his crib. We seemed to wake each other up and then he'd want to nurse. It was harder at first, but we never let him cry it out and just went into his room whenever he cried out. I'd nurse him and he'd go back to sleep. Slowly, he just started putting more time between his wakeups. And, I know this was right for us because there were times I would hear him cry and by the time I got to his room he had stopped crying and he fell back asleep. Not everytime, but sometimes. And he still wakes up sometimes, but its better for us
    Mom of 1, AJ born 4/12/07

Quote Originally Posted by Xerxella View Post
    Now, I know many people on this post would disagree, but what worked for us was transitioning our son out of our bed into his crib.
    This helped us a lot, too. DD was in bed with me up to 6 months of age, and she was up every hour or so wanting the breast. When she was in the crib, she definitely woke up less- every 1.5-3 hours- but that was still an improvement.

Have you read "The No-Cry Sleep Solution"? It has a lot of gentle suggestions for getting your baby to sleep longer and better, and is very understanding of the special challenges faced by breastfeeding moms.

Does your baby take a sippy cup or bottle? I finally weaned my 24 month-old DD from her last night nursing session, and I found that having a sippy of water was really a help for us, because sometimes she was genuinely thirsty in the night.

I hope you all get some good sleep soon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Xerxella View Post
    Now, I know many people on this post would disagree, but what worked for us was transitioning our son out of our bed into his crib. We seemed to wake each other up and then he'd want to nurse. It was harder at first, but we never let him cry it out and just went into his room whenever he cried out. I'd nurse him and he'd go back to sleep. Slowly, he just started putting more time between his wakeups. And, I know this was right for us because there were times I would hear him cry and by the time I got to his room he had stopped crying and he fell back asleep. Not everytime, but sometimes. And he still wakes up sometimes, but its better for us
    This worked for me! I discovered that even if she just wiggled a bit while next to be I would nurse her before she was even awake and crying when she probably could have just gone back to sleep on her own. Her nightime waking decreased significantly and I would just nurse her in the rocking chair until she fell back asleep. By 6 months she was sleeping 10 hours straight at night

I just used the Dr. Gordon "method" for my 14 MO DS and it worked great! He has not nursed for 4 nights, and hasn't really cried for 3 nights. I started him in his own bed, and brought him into our bed at about 3 (when he woke up). The first night with no nursing he fussed for about 10 min. then fell asleep and slept the rest of the night. The next night, he cuddled for a few min. and then just fell asleep. The last 2 nights, after a few min. of cuddleing, he has wanted to go back to his own bed for the rest of the night! I'm sure this hasn't worked for everyone, but I thought it might be encouraging to you. It's probably worth a try.
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

thanks ladies I will update shortly good advice.

I just want to say. I don't think it's learned behavior. I think it's teeth. I think whenever you get to the point where the night nursing get to the point of resentment. it's teeth. And the 4molars that are due in right around the year point are BRUTAL for everyone. I at that point considered putting DJ in a futon in his own room so that he could have his own sleep space I was so over it. And then I saw them And as usual I felt horrible about being so mad about my sleep when once again it was clear he was in the worst pain of his life and coping the only way he knew how. And after I SWORE I'd stay empathetic after his 1st teeth came in. But each time it seems to take longer and be worse. At least the ones where we remember being so resentful that we are ready to consider drastic measures. Those molars dig actually holes in their mouth. It took 8weeks. For a lot of that time he would not even come off for 4-5hours. And then it was over and we were back to 2-3 times a night and all was forgiven. Try some motrin. I bet it's teeth.

Way too lazy for formula