Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting solids

Default Re: Starting solids

If he sits in a highchair or on your lap and wants it, I say follow his lead. Norah wasn't sitting on her own yet when we started, but was in the highchair picking up wedges of food. It doesn't take long at all to go from introducing solids to them demanding solids, cause let me tell you....homegirl either gets some of what we are eating or she will eat us! But if you want to hold off, that's okay too!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

What Christy just said, makes me want to tell you to wait even longer. You have enough demands on you now without the added pressure of HAVING to make him solids. He's the one person in your family that really can be happy with just you. Ride that train for as far as it goes. Because at she so perfectly pointed out, it won't be long now until you HAVE to feed him!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    I am just annoyed because everyone just says something like, "All these fads. When you were little they were recommending it at 3 weeks. Next year it will be back to that." Does anyone else get that?
    Yep - although I counter by saying medical knowledge has changed and will continue to change.

My dad remembers being a LO and being very sick before penicillin was widely available. Just because he didn't have penicillin as a LO doesn't mean that he would suggest we withhold medication from my DS if he needed it.

I also get that all the time for food allergies. I counter by saying that our knowledge of food allergies has greatly improved. That 20 or 30 years ago there would be a LO with bad rashes and eczema and vomiting and chronic diarrhea and nobody would know why and just assume that they were a sickly kid. Now with the current knowledge you'd probably look at those symptoms and assume allergies. I had an epic dislike of eggs when I was a LO (and still don't like eggs). We think that I had an undiagnosed egg allergy and that the doctors at that time just weren't as aware of food allergies.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    I also get that all the time for food allergies. I counter by saying that our knowledge of food allergies has greatly improved. That 20 or 30 years ago there would be a LO with bad rashes and eczema and vomiting and chronic diarrhea and nobody would know why and just assume that they were a sickly kid. Now with the current knowledge you'd probably look at those symptoms and assume allergies. I had an epic dislike of eggs when I was a LO (and still don't like eggs). We think that I had an undiagnosed egg allergy and that the doctors at that time just weren't as aware of food allergies.
    EXCELLENT point. Everyone keeps saying I'm crazy, that allergies are a "new" thing, but dh's mother is constantly saying how dh had a chronic runny nose and upset tummy, even as an infant!!! We will be waiting! Any ideas on what to give him while we eat so we can enjoy mealtime? He is sooo fussy and wants to suck on something.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

The classic is mom-scicles in a mesh feeder.

One of the early foods we did do with DS was Healthy Times biscuits. The maple ones are wheat, soy & dairy free. DS loved sucking on them. They get sticky and messy, but kept him pretty happy.

If he doesn't have teeth then sucking on a piece of carrot might work.

We also let DS go at it on a whole apple that DH "started" by taking a bite out of.

All of the above with lots of supervision!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

how about a hand full of frozen peas?
    OR 6-8 peices of cold cereal that baby can self feed.

My last two I totaly skipped the shovel in phase, they self fed at about 9-12 months.
    The only thing I ground up was tough meats.

I like this link:
    slow and steady
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug01p150.html

He can sit in a high chair, and between my legs--I just don't trust him to sit on his own in the middle of the floor yet.
    Erin...do you feed Haylee in the middle of the floor?? Don't kids sit in high chairs or someone's lap to eat?? If he can do all of those things and he WANTS to eat....then I'm sure there are some bland, mild and lowly allergenic foods that you can offer him.

That's just my 2 cents...he can sit in a high chair, put food in his mouth and swallow, and he WANTS to eat.

Can you freeze some segments of banana and then put them in a mesh feeder to let him suck/chew on while you guys are eating dinner? That might feel good on his gums too if he's teething.

Good luck whichever way you go.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasMommy View Post
    Erin...do you feed Haylee in the middle of the floor?? Don't kids sit in high chairs or someone's lap to eat?? If he can do all of those things and he WANTS to eat....then I'm sure there are some bland, mild and lowly allergenic foods that you can offer him.

That's just my 2 cents...he can sit in a high chair, put food in his mouth and swallow, and he WANTS to eat.

Can you freeze some segments of banana and then put them in a mesh feeder to let him suck/chew on while you guys are eating dinner? That might feel good on his gums too if he's teething.

Good luck whichever way you go.
    I do feed Haylee in the middle of the floor--wherever she will eat, actually.

Its a good point, Leslie, and I think i will give him large pieces of apple to suck/chew on, but that's going to be it until we do some allergy testing. And avocado, because I KNOW neither of those are the culprit as he has had tastes of both and has been fine so far.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I do feed Haylee in the middle of the floor--wherever she will eat, actually.
    Well, ****...I can't win for losing, can I???? At this age Shiloh can eat at the table or on the floor at my mom's house, and at home he's in the high chair....BUT did you feed H on the floor at W's age?

I'm sure he'd LOVE some apple and avocado. Just keep giving him those until he gets bored and wants something else. Hopefully by then you'll have some allergy testing done.

S is getting allergy tested on Friday.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I agree with pp on trusting your instincts. however, on the sitting up thing- most things I've read say as long as they can sit up with some support- like in a high chair, then they're ok, so don't let that worry you. My 6 mo old is a bit wobbly by herself on the floor, but she's fine in a high chair. You can always try slowly too, and if he seems like he's not ready, stop and try again later.