Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting solids

Default Starting solids

I am at a bit of a loss. W is meeting all the recommended signs for starting solids except for sitting up. He *can* sit up, but not for long and always seems to find something on the floor that is more interesting, so his balance isn't great. But he WANTS to eat solid foods. I have given him avocado off my finger, and pear and apple and he loves it, but I don't want to push it if 1.) he does have allergies, and 2.) he's really not ready. How do I balance this? Everyone is telling me its TIME (everyone being my family--not dh, btw), and I feel like it is to some degree, but his entire past has me worried. Just wanted to get some opinions from my sisters here.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Default Re: Starting solids

I am glad you posted this... my son is a couple of weeks younger than your son. He is showing all the signs too, but like you I have mixed feelings.
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

We went ahead and started solids with S at 6 months because he was showing all the signs of readiness too, except the sitting. I was so worried because he just couldn't sit up for very long at all...but when he grabbed a piece of watermelon at souper salad, chewed it, swallowed it and screamed for more...I KNEW it was time.

What does your gut say, E? Not some article or piece of paper...how is W acting? If he's showing signs of being ready, if he WANTS to eat and is eager, and he is happy...then why not let him try?

On the other hand...don't feel like you have to just because your family wants you to, you know? Let his behavior and your instincts be the guide.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Are you kidding me? There's nothing to balance. If he's not ready, he's not ready. And you think he has allergies? Erin. Just wait. If he can't sit up, he can't self feed. Which means he's not ready. Do you just need me to tell you that or are you looking for permission?

That's what I think about the idea that you might actually care what anybody else thinks about what you are supposed to do with your kids and when!

Way too lazy for formula

I liked the Dr. Sears site for figuring out if your child is ready. He basically said they will either turn away, or open their mouths, chew, and swallow. Pretty simple. But, I don't know about allergies and so I know it may make you feel better to EBF longer and that IS fine. DD has just started eating solids for the last couple weeks and she is hit and miss. One day she'll eat like a little piggy going "numm numm numm" and the next day she'll just turn her head and spit it out. I just keep telling myself that for the first YEAR I'm really all she needs and eventually she will eat. Keep following your instincts. You know your child better than anyone.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I would probaby offer stuff that he has to pick up and eat himself. If he can't pick it up, he can't eat it, and therefore = he is not ready. But if he CAN, then = he is ready, and will only eat exactly the right amount of only the things he is ready for. Make sense?

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

If your gut says he not ready then don't do solids yet.

Dig in your heels. You're the mom - not anyone else who may be trying to "backseat parent".

Practice your best fake smile, nod when people give you unsolicited advice and then politely ignore them.

If you feel people might listen, then you can try to educate them why you whink W isn't ready to start solids.

If you don't think they'll listen then just ignore them because it's not worth your time and energy.

Here is the link to the chart for sequence of adding foods for the allergic baby, and it includes how to introduce new foods.

I figure my baby isn't yet able to speak for himself, so my job as mom is to provide that voice and speak up for him.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I dont' have a problem telling people he's not ready, but I am doubting myself that he is. He can sit in a high chair, and between my legs--I just don't trust him to sit on his own in the middle of the floor yet. He has had avocado and he can scrape it to the edge of the table, scoop it into his mouth, gum it and swallow it. He is irritable at the table because he wants to eat. Food would make him happy. I KNOW that to be true. He WANTS to eat. I feel like if I gave him a large chunk of apple at dinner he would suck on it and be content, rather than fussy because he wants everything on my plate. I'm just not sure about whether that much sitting is considered okay, and I'm really not aure about the allergies. I never doubted it with H, but she was sitting by now. He just prefers to roll around on the floor, whereas she hated the floor.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)

If you doubt it, than wait. It won't be much longer now.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    If you doubt it, than wait. It won't be much longer now.
    Good advice. You're right. As usual.

I am just annoyed because everyone just says something like, "All these fads. When you were little they were recommending it at 3 weeks. Next year it will be back to that." Does anyone else get that?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly