Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleeping/Feeding

Default Sleeping/Feeding

So, my son, seven weeks old, has started sleeping longer periods ( 7 hrs) of time (some nights) So I am having troubles becoming extremely engorged. When we wake up he is hungry, but I have to go pump some so that he can even latch on. He doesnt ever sleep at the same times or for the same amount of periods..which I dont expect him too, but is there anything I do about the engorgement..or just deal with it?
    Baby B's Mama

Bryce Levi 2/18/08

We LOVE and loving and and we are getting used to cloth diapering!

Default Re: Sleeping/Feeding

I know that many say if a baby is sleeping let him sleep, but I always wake my DD to eat during the day if it has been longer than 3 hrs. During the night I just let her sleep. If you wake your LO during the day you shouldnt have a problem w/ engorgement then. But that is your call if you want to wake her.At night I usually just sleep through it, and if I do wake in pain I just pump enough to be comfortable, so if DD wakes up there is still enough for her. So I guess you could do the same thing during the day too- just pump enough to be comfortable
    Reagan Allison
    Born 12/29/07
    7 lbs 3 oz
    Goals:
    Nurse 1 month
    Nurse 3 months
    Nurse 6 months
    Nurse 9 months
    Nurse 1 year

During the day its no problem. He eats regularly. He has jsut started sleeping longer at night and thats what makes it difficult. Even though he sleeps different periods will my supply regulate to this?
    Baby B's Mama

Bryce Levi 2/18/08

We LOVE and loving and and we are getting used to cloth diapering!

It should. I know mine did, it took about a week or so if I am remembering correctly. I pumped when she started sleeping longer for about 2 weeks b/c I wanted to have a little freezer stash b4 returning to work. I remember nights I would just pump enough to be comfortable and crawl back to bed... But now DD has been sleeping about 9 hrs straight a night and I wake up in the morning feeling full, but after she eats am just fine.
    Reagan Allison
    Born 12/29/07
    7 lbs 3 oz
    Goals:
    Nurse 1 month
    Nurse 3 months
    Nurse 6 months
    Nurse 9 months
    Nurse 1 year