Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby acne

Default baby acne

We've had a rough two weeks. My nine-week-old daughter caught a cold and suddenly a red rash appeared all over her face. She had beautiful, clear skin when she was born so this was alarming to me. The nurse said that it is baby acne. Meantime, I got a small period. I did not have excessive bleeding postpartum; I only bled for four days after delivery. The period (seven weeks postpartum) was short and not very heavy. Also, last Monday I went back to work and DD went to the sitter's. Could any of these things trigger the baby acne? Does anyone have any suggestions? I am going to start taking birth control (prescribed for bf mothers) but can't figure out when to start taking it. Will the pill affect DD's hormones? Could my period have triggered the baby acne?

Thanks for the help!

Default Re: baby acne

Your bleeding may still be post-partum...wait and see if it returns regularly.

As for the acne, I had really good luck for by baby with Cetaphil face wash followed by Cetaphil lotion daily. (Sorry, I know I've posted this several times now, but if you saw my lo before and after pictures, you'd be a believer, too!)

Anyway, it will go away on its own within a few months.

I don't think there is anything you can really do to prevent the beby acne. My baby had a pretty bad case for from month 2 to month 4. I washed her face with a wam washcloth a couple times a day and that helped but other than that you just have to deal with it I think. My little girl now has a beautiful clear face and I am sure your lo will too soon.

My baby had it too. It is nothing and as far as I know it has nothing to do with hormones. Our doctor said don't put anything on it, don't touch it, it will clear within a couple of weeks and it did.

my baby had it too... from 2 to 5 mo... dr also said not to put anything, no lotion, soap etc... it clear by it self but it keeps coming up here and there .....

Caprine you said that you had good luck with "catephil" or I miss understood you where did you get it???? my baby acne keeps coming back

My daughter also had baby acne. She had beautiful, clear baby skin, and then one day- poof! A face full of pimples! Like a miniature teenager! It was such a bummer.

Someone told me that baby acne is caused by the last maternal hormones being flushed from the baby's body. When babies are born, they still have a lot of mom's crazy prego hormones on board from their time in the womb- which causes most babies to be born with somewhat swollen genitalia and breast tissue. My DD even had some bloody discharge from her vagina- which totally freaked me out, BTW- it was like baby period, and it was caused by residual hormones from me! It's all perfectly natural and normal, and it all passes in time.

I don't think that your period, or your DD's time at the sitter's are likely causes for baby acne. Birth control pills, if/when you decide to start taking them, are also unlikely to do anything about your baby's acne, though oral contraceptives are sometimes prescribed to teenagers and adults to treat acne.

Just a final note- some women find that they have issues with their milk supply when they take oral contraceptives. So if you decide to start the pill, just be alert for changes in your supply.

oops
    Last edited by SSW; April 7th, 2008 at 11:09 AM. Reason: posted to wrong topic

My DD had terrible acne for weeks and my girlfriend suggested Eucerin lotion. It worked wonders!