Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: where do u find the time???

Default where do u find the time???

so, currently i stay at home with my 3 month old who BF but i will be going back to work full time in august. i just bought a pump and would like to start storing and getting lo used to taking a bottle.

my ds still feeds almost ever 2 hrs and is very high needs...won't play by himself, has difficulty taking naps and going to sleep....basically, no down time. to add to that, my dh just started his own business so he is gone early morning until night so i have no one to watch my lo if i were to pump. so just curious, where do u find the time to bf and pump? once i start work i can pump there, but how do u handle this transition phase??

Default Re: where do u find the time???

I have just started pumping myself. I have found to set up my pump next to the bed and when DD is done eating on one side, I switch her to the other and attach the pump to the breast she was just on. I usually get 1 more once after she is done with it. And if she doesn't take the other side, then I attach to that side and get out what I can. Usually only takes about 5-10 min. My DH gave DD her first bottle and she did pretty well. Then later that night I gave her what was left and she took it pretty well from me too. I have read that some Babies won't take a bottle from mom but mine did at least once so far. Hope my info help.

well i am a fortunate one whos LO sleeps through the night usually from bout 9p-6a s i pump b4 i go to bed @11 and try to again b4 she wakes up if not b4 i usually get about 4 oz b4 bed total

Before I went back to work I would have my alarm set for 230am. My LO usually wakes at 12 and 4 so it was right in the middle. I just am not coordinated enough to pump and nurse at the same time. Now that I have a freezer stash, I just pump at work, or if DD is asleep and I wake b/c I am too full and can't fall back asleep.
    Reagan Allison
    Born 12/29/07
    7 lbs 3 oz
    Goals:
    Nurse 1 month
    Nurse 3 months
    Nurse 6 months
    Nurse 9 months
    Nurse 1 year

thanks for all the input. i pumped for the first time this morning while ds nursed on the other. i couldn't believe how much milk i got in just 15 minutes. no wonder why i've got a 16 pounder 3 month old.

but now, another ? how much do i give him in the bottle. i heard babies tend to finish whatever u give them in a bottle and i don't want overfeed my already difficult to carry baby (although the rolls he's got are irresistably cute)

Quote Originally Posted by nu.uhm.ma View Post
    but now, another ? how much do i give him in the bottle. i heard babies tend to finish whatever u give them in a bottle and i don't want overfeed my already difficult to carry baby (although the rolls he's got are irresistably cute)
    you are right...they will most likely finish what you give them bec it is easier for them...my lo would eat 4...5...6..10 oz if i let her!! I say its a trial and error...try low like 3-4 oz and + or - .5 oz to see where they seem content afterwards!!! my lo cries right after bec she is being told when she is done (opposite of the breast) but she is happy and smiling if I get up and walk around or offer the paci...then I knwo it is just that she wanted to suck instead of need more food!! FYI my 8 mo old takes 5 oz!!!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Quote Originally Posted by jlk51496 View Post
    you are right...they will most likely finish what you give them bec it is easier for them...my lo would eat 4...5...6..10 oz if i let her!! I say its a trial and error...try low like 3-4 oz and + or - .5 oz to see where they seem content afterwards!!! my lo cries right after bec she is being told when she is done (opposite of the breast) but she is happy and smiling if I get up and walk around or offer the paci...then I knwo it is just that she wanted to suck instead of need more food!! FYI my 8 mo old takes 5 oz!!!
    thanks...i will try 3 and go up from there.

i have another one for y'all.

i just got the playtex drop-in set...it comes with the latex and silicone nipples...is one better than the other or is it just baby's preference. also the booklet says 0-3 months takes the slow nipple and 3-6 takes the fast. my lo is 3 months, should i start with the slow or just go for the fast?

thank you! thank you!!

It is best to start, and stay with a slow flow nipple so that you can try to avoid nipple confusion or bottle preference. My LO is 7 months and we started with a different kind of bottle/nipple at 3 months and ended up with a nursing strike for about a week. I went to the dropins system and was told to use the Latex nipples because they are more "natural" but to use the slow flow always.
    Also, my 7 mo only takes 3.5 - 4 ounces at a time, every 2.5 hours or so!
    with my Best Friend
    Proud Mommy to my 3 girls
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    "Peanut" 02/26/09 birth weight 5lbs 2 oz
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Firm believer in the glory of "MIRACLE GROW"

I pump 8-10x day with my daughter right next to me in a bouncy seat. She's also very high needs and I try to keep her entertained. I pump in front of the computer and either read a book during the night or am online (like now).