Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: The Unbelievable Sleepy Baby

Default The Unbelievable Sleepy Baby

I am so frustrated. My 4week old son is soooo sleepy. He was born 6lb 14 oz so he was tiny at birth. The doc was worried about his weight since he lost 9oz in the hospital. He since gained back his birth weight and is not 7.14 as of his last fri. weight check. Ever since then he has been falling asleep after let down, then it is hard to keep him awake enough to nurse. I have been timing the nursings because we were getting green poop and that is the only way I can get make sure he gets the hind milk. If I let him he would just drink the let down for milk. I am on the verge of crying through nursings because I keep having to wake him up on the breast or off. If I don't wake him he will cry and the cycle starts all again...nurse... sleep... cry...nurse.... What to do? How long will this sleepy stuff last? This is my 3rd child and I have nursed them all. The others had their issues but this is the most frustrating. It is hard to take care of 2 other children when one is sleeping on your breast. Also, I don't want him to loose weight, or my milk to decrease (which is what I think is happening).

Help?
    Last edited by mollykolly; April 6th, 2008 at 05:03 PM. Reason: forgot something

Default Re: The Unbelievable Sleepy Baby

mama - sometimes it can be really hard to keep them awake, but your doing the right thing to keep nursing and keep trying.

Here are a couple of resources on sleepy babies that will maybe give you a few ideas to try

http://kellymom.com/babyconcerns/bf-...ns.html#sleepy

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVOctNov99p99.html

Sometimes you can keep babies interested with breast compressions - here is more info on that

http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

HTH
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Wow

Your baby sounds like mine. bottle or breast, she doesn't care about eating and just wants to sleep. At two weeks old, I think she has been awake a total of 1.5 hours. She was 2.5 weeks early, induced, but weighed 8.15 at birth. Let me know if you find something that works for you. Her pedi and lact consultant aren't sure what else to tell me besides the usual tickling and stripping down...

My son was the same way! We had to strip him naked and run a cold washcloth over him to get him to wake up. It was really difficult...

I don't have any other advice just lots of . I hope things improve quickly for you and your LO.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Breast compression will really help. Its hard to sleep with milk pouring down your throat. Here is what we mean by a compression: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html She uses compressions while pumping. In addition acting like you are going to unlatch your baby will often cause them to start sucking again. Gently tug on the nipple a bit to get them jump started.

Can you tell us more about how many wet/dirty diapers you see during a day? Before you assume there is a problem first ascertain whether or not baby is getting enough milk. If you are seeing a min. of around 5-6 wet disposable diapers or 6-8 wet cloth diapers and 2-3 poops your baby is getting a sufficient amount of milk.

How often are you switching sides?

Quote Originally Posted by momofnoah View Post
    Wow

Your baby sounds like mine. bottle or breast, she doesn't care about eating and just wants to sleep. At two weeks old, I think she has been awake a total of 1.5 hours. She was 2.5 weeks early, induced, but weighed 8.15 at birth. Let me know if you find something that works for you. Her pedi and lact consultant aren't sure what else to tell me besides the usual tickling and stripping down...
    It can be normal for a pre-term baby to be slow to get the nack of suckling. It seems like you feel like there is a problem. Can you explain it further for us?

I don't want to jinx anything but I think the breast compressions are helping. Plus I started to pump at the end of a feeding or two to increase my milk supply, considering it was hard to compress the milk. Someone on the forum here gave me a link to videos from this doc.
    http://www.drjacknewman.com/index.ph...d=18&Itemid=42 It was very helpful. After I watched the clips, I was feeling like this was doable. I also became angry that in the US we don't have clinics like this one for BF mothers. This would have been amazing if I had this support a few weeks ago.

For my own peace of mind, I am going to go to the pediatricians office and use their scale on Fri. to see if he is gaining. If so then I will stop worrying.

Thank you to everyone and keep your fingers crossed.

Now I am getting green poops. I am getting so unbelievably frustrated. Plus he cries when he doesn't want anymore. Even if he has burped. He just wants to sleep after maybe 15 on one side and 10 on the other.

Are they consistently green? My ds had several green poops when he was a newborn. He was also a VERY sleepy baby and I was worried he wasn't getting enough. I was told to nurse for atleast 15-30 minutes. My ds would usually only nurse 10 minutes on one side before he wanted to sleep again. I'd try waking him which was unbelievably frustrating and offer the other side but he wouldn't take it. So instead I tried relaxing a bit, follow his cues and count his wet/poopy diapers to make sure he was getting enough, he was!

"The breastfed baby's stools may change in color, and baby may even have an occasional green stool. Consistently green stools, however, may indicate a problem, such as imbalance in foremilk/hindmilk, or sensitivity to something in mom's diet, such as dairy. Green stools do not always indicate a problem." - here is the link to that http://www.mother-2-mother.com/normal.htm#NormalStools and also http://www.mother-2-mother.com/cc-baby-A.htm

This was my baby! DD was ridiculously sleepy for the first month. It was so frustrating, so I sympathize with you. (Around a month, she suddenly became the baby who hated to sleep, so we went from one extreme to the other .) My lactation consultant and doctor said to feed DD every 1.5 to 2 hours. She wanted nothing to do with this. I tried everything to wake her up. I always undressed her down to the diaper, sometimes put a cold wash cloth on her head, sang to her and read to her. Sitting her up to burp her usually annoyed her enough to do something. After I got her latched (which frequently took forever), reading to her would usually keep her eating for a little while along with breast compression. Also, we had read babies will often try to sleep more if bright lights are on, so we kept the lights low. I would change her diaper between switching sides ... once again annoyed her enough to wake her up usually. Because it took so long to wake her, it would often be nearer to three hours between each feeding. So, my goal became to just feed her 8 times in 24 hours. When I started waking her up closer to the three hour point, she woke and ate much easier. Now, her weight gain was great in spite of all this, so I'm not sure that it would work for you. Another thing you might want to try is wearing him in a sling. This way you will see right away any signs of hunger (hands in mouth, etc.), which would be a good time to feed him. Also, it helps to try to wake newbies when they are in a light state of sleep rather than deep sleep. Look for eye movement and twitching limbs. I know it is so difficult at first, but good for you for sticking with BF. The way I looked at it when people told me to give DD a bottle was you can't feed a sleeping baby regardless of how you do it. The hard work at the beginning for BF is so worth it. You will be so happy later on that you stuck with it. Good luck to you!
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !