Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning a co-sleeping 18mo from night feedings - can it be done?

Default Weaning a co-sleeping 18mo from night feedings - can it be done?

Some nights he only nurses once, but others I'm an all night buffet and then a walking zombie the next day. I LOVE nursing him, but I'm just wondering if it's even worth trying to get him to sleep through the night if I'm not going to wean completely.

I tried moving into the guest room for a week, and he hardly bothered my husband at all. As soon as I moved back into our bed, the buffet was back in business.

Is this normal? Should I even worry about it?

Both my husband and I love co-sleeping, but we know he can't sleep with us and nurse forever. I joke with my husband that when he's playing varsity ball, he'll have to come see me at half-time for booby breaks - ha! What are your experiences?

Default Re: Weaning a co-sleeping 18mo from night feedings - can it be done?

Mine's 22 months... he's a co sleeper, a reverse cycler, and there's no end in sight for us. Just wanted to say I wish you luck -- but I think it's cool that you were able to be in the guest room for a week with no big issues. That's cool! Maybe I'll be that brave sometime in the future.

I weaned my DD when she was 18 months. She was practically nursing all night long and I couldn't function. I got a calendar and decorated it on the day when we'd all start sleeping thru the night. I got her all excited about it and told her how great it would be for everyone. She was all for it until she tried to nurse. My husband or I would cuddle her (while she cried) until she fell asleep, again (which was not that long). The first night, this happened every 2 hours. Each night, the amount of wakings decreased. I simply reminded her that we'd nurse when the sun woke up. After that 1st week, she didn't wake up anymore at night...but the first hint of sun and she was waking me telling me that the sun was awake.

I think that if your own sleep is being severely impaired, at this age, it won't hurt to cut out the night nursing. At least for my DD, it didn't diminish her nursing during the day.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks for the support, ladies! He really is at that perfect juicy cute age, so I'm very torn about weaning him even at night. I guess God makes 'em that cute for a reason.....

We're converting his crib (that he never uses) into a toddler bed in the next couple weeks, and I'm gonna try getting him to be comfortable napping there, and then slowly graduate from there with some nighttime in that bed. But I'm sure this process will take months.