Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeding/Pumping both sides at each feeding time?

Smile Feeding/Pumping both sides at each feeding time?

I am a first time mom to my little girl, Katie. I have been feeding her on only one breast each feeding and only pumping that breast after she eats. I fear my milk might be decreasing, so I started trying to feed her on both sides each feeding and then pumping both sides. Will this help increase my milk versus what I was doing before? She is a great eater, I just want to make sure I can meet her milk needs in months to come.

Default Re: Feeding/Pumping both sides at each feeding time?

Hi!
    Congratulations on your new baby girl. Can you give me some details as to why you think you may not have enough milk or why you think you may not have enough in the future?

Baby should be having at least 5 wet (disposable) diapers per day. That is the best day-to-day indicator that she is getting enough to eat.

I'm curious as to why you feel you should pump. If you are providing enough for your baby to eat at the breast, pumping afterwards may lead to oversupply issues.

Are you planning to return to work in the future?

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Hi :-) I am pumping because I am eventually going back to work and I want to have enough milk to supply her when I am away from her. Also, I want my husband to be able to bottle feed her with my milk from time to time. I had a feeling it was decreasing because of the amount I was able to pump compared to about a week or more ago. Now that I've been doing the two side thing when I feed and pump both yesterday and today, I've already noticed a difference. I just worry that if I start to decrease production now, it will mean less breastfeeding time in the future for her.

Hello again!

I forgot to ask you before how old your baby is?

I also wanted to correct some information I gave you. Baby should actually be having 6-8 wet diapers and 1-3 dirty diapers to indicate that she is getting the proper amount of breastmilk! Is she having enough wet/dirty diapers and gaining weight?

The fact that you are pumping less can be due to a variety of factors. It's generally not a good idea to measure how much milk you're making by what you're able to pump. Your body will always let down better for your baby than for a machine. That being said, if you do plan to return to work in the future and want to be able to pump enough, it sounds like you're on the right track to keeping your pumping supply up.

It will also help to decrease artificial nipples as much as possible. I know it can be tempting to have daddy feed the occasional bottle, but every session that baby is at the breast is much better than a session at the pump.

HTH!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."

Thanks! She is 4 weeks old tomorrow. Good advice. Also, can you answer a couple other questions for me? I'm new on this site and I can't for the life of me figure out what "ds" "dd" mean???

P.S. Yes, she has enough wet/dirties each day.

Hello again!

If she's having enough wet and dirties every day and she's gaining weight steadily, then she's getting enough!

You might check out some of the other discussion topics on this board for tips on pumping and returning to work!

Oh and here's a short list of commong abbreviations:

DH--dear husband
    DC--dear child
    DD--dear daughter
    DS--dear son

HTH!
    Jen

Smile Re: Feeding/Pumping both sides at each feeding time?

Hi again - thanks for the feedback and answers to the abbreviations! Things are going great with my dd. I'm trying different things - now I am feeding her on one side per feeding and pumping the opposite side - easier and I seem to be pumping more milk this way