Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I am struggling with this...

Default I am struggling with this...

I am trying to wean my 10 month old. I go back to work in 5 weeks and this is week 2 of the weaning process. I took away one nursing session the first week (the one after lunch). That went fine until I tried to take away the 2nd session the next week. She just seems so angry with me. She used to go to sleep for naps on her own if I just walked her around for a few minutes. Now she screams and cries at nap time and will not calm down unless I nurse her. She normally did not nurse before her naps - now that I am weaning her she wants it! It is so frustrating because all she wants to do now is scream and cry half the day. She definitly is a comfort nurser and I have tried to cuddle her more but she doesn't want anything to do with that.

Any advice for me? I just want to wean her from the daytime sessions. I am going to continue to nurse her in the evenings and early morning.

Default Re: I am struggling with this...

I know exactly what you are going through! My son seemed fine with weaning until he seemed to realized that's what I was doing, then he broke down! It was rough for a little while (a couple/few weeks), but it got better little by little. Today was the first day that he didn't nurse at all and he was a little cranky, but easily distracted away from it. I would bride him with food he really likes - like yogurt or, yes I'm a horrible mother, a cookie - during the times that he wanted to nurse. This seemed to help alot. good luck!
    Jillian
    Mommy to ...
    Ella (11/03/04)
    Owen (03/29/07)
    Cate (11/17/08)

maybe cutting out a diffent feed would work?
    are you planning on pumping when you go back to work?
    What hours will you be working?
    some babies that age would just wait for mom to get back to nurse.
    So maybe the weaning is just a little bit more then he can take right now.
    You know your baby best if it seams like its affecting them you can ease up a little bit!

I with Andrea...baby may just wait until you get home to nurse...so weaning may not be necessary. At that age, baby can take solid food and water in a cup while you are at work, and nurse when you are available.

My DS would go all day if I wasn't there, but if I was...he'd want to nurse...KWIM?

Can you pump at work...at least a little in the beginning until your supply adjusts?
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Is there a reason you are weaning her from the daytime sessions? I know when I went back to work I did not wean prior to that. DD had bottles in the past when she was with DH so she was familiar with bottles. So when she started daycare she took bottles fine when she was away from me but when we were together she nursed. Lots of times babies only want to nurse when they are with mom but will take a bottle fine when they are apart. Good luck!

EDIT: I just noticed your lo is 10 months so you would probably be using a sippy instead of bottle.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

I do agree with the pps...you could just give sippys while you're not there and just bf when you are. your supply will adjust.
    Jillian
    Mommy to ...
    Ella (11/03/04)
    Owen (03/29/07)
    Cate (11/17/08)