Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to throw in the towel with BF

Default Wanting to throw in the towel with BF

My LO is almost 8 weeks old. I have been running on empty as I'm sure a lot of you all are. It has been 8 weeks of extreme torture - she is a healthy, thriving infant however she rarely sleeps, constantly cries and I am at my wits end. To top it all off all she wants to do is eat - she eats for almost an hour every feeding. I am at my wits end and just want to give up breast feeding. The problem is I want her to have the health benefits of the breast feeding. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Wanting to throw in the towel with BF

If dad is around, you could pump and have him give her a bottle for a few feedings a day, to give yourself a break.

All I can say is that it gets easier. This time will pass quickly and 6 months from now you may really regret if you quit BF but you will definitely not regret if you don't.

That is one of the additional problems - in the beginning I was able to pum p 4 oz. at one session, now I can barely pump 1oz. I really don't want to stop BF, but I am starting to not be the person I want to be around my LO. My husband and I both are at our wits end. I know I will regret it if I switch to formula. I just don't know what else to do.

Do you have a sling, wrap or other carrier that you can nurse your daughter in? My sling was a lifesaver for me when DS was going through these crazy phases. He could nurse and nap in the sling and I didn't feel so tied down because I had my hands free and was mobile. Wearing him a lot also seemed to make him more content at other times.
    Hang in there, mama! It will get easier.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

I have a sling, however I am extremely big busted and BF is a bit tricky for me to begin with. I'm not sure that I could actually nurse her in the sling. And to make matters worse I am having terrible back pain (I never have had back issues before in my life!). Thanks for the suggestion though.

The first day of pumping may be hard, you will have to gradually build up a supply over several days, but you may find that you can pump a lot more when you're not feeding the baby at the same time. Also you may be surprised how little you need - my lo would never take more than a few ounces at a time from a bottle.

What kind of pump do you have?

But I did pump 4 oz., now I'm only pumping 1oz. if I'm lucky. I have a Medela Pump In Style Advanced. To be honest I am just so exhausted I feel like I could throw up right now. I barely have enough strength to feed my LO, let alone pump.

I'm with you mamma!! It was sooooo hard in the beginning... can you nurse laying down?? you might want to take a day and just have a nursing vacation (spend the whole day in bed with lo)!! los can feel tension too so that could be an issue... try to relax, i know, i know, easier said then done, but you need to make sure that you are feeling good so that you can be there for your LO....

I too tried to nurse in a sling and just couldn't get me or lo comfy...

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

The first few months are definately the hardest. Hang in there, it will get easier for you. Try do what pp suggested, and take a "mom-cation" in bed with your LO for the whole day. Just nurse, sleep, and snuggle. Try not to take on too much. Have you tried a swing? I know how you feel because my guy screamed for the first 3 months for hours on end. I wanted to quit so many times. It is hard, but you are doing the absolute best for you baby, so hang in there . Trust me, it is worth it. You should be so proud of yourself. We are here for you!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

First of all congratulations for your healthy baby and for being a great mother giving her child the best! I can totally relate to your situation. My son screamed (once nonstop from 8pm to 3am) all the time the first 3 months. I guess their intestines are soooo thin that even a little gas gives them great pain. I doubt that formula will make it better though. They just have to get bigger so that their digestive track can handle everything better. Around 3 months (when he was around 14-15 pounds) he magically stopped screaming. So I will say hang in there, you have very little time left until things get better.
    As for the constant feeding. That will soon get better too as your baby gets more efficient and again around 3 months when she starts seeing things clearly. She will prefer looking around to suckling and you will come here again asking how you can get her to breast since she will be too busy discovering her surroundings and forgetting to eat
    One more thing that I always tell mothers who think about giving up BF because of its difficulties (rightfully so since it is difficult especially in the beginning). Think about the difficulty of caring for a sick child. While there may be pretty healthy FF kids and not so healthy BF kids, they are exceptions. Overall it is a scientific fact that BF babies rarely get sick if ever. My son is 21 months old and he got sick once with a stomach bug around 14 months. I thought I was going to die. Seriously, it was 100 times more difficult than the first weeks of BF. He was crying with pain and vomiting all night and there is nothing you can do. It was just horrible. But it only happened once in almost 2 years. I cannot imagine it happening every now and then as it happens with most FF kids. I have several friends whose FF children are sick all winter: cough, cold, stomach virus, cold, diarrhea, cold, flu,..... Seriously it never ends. Once my son got a cold virus from one of them and his cold lasted exactly half a day. I nursed him a couple of times and the runny and stuffy nose situation was gone by the afternoon. You cannot imagine what a blessing it is. (Besides other blessings that come with BF of course like when your baby starts caressing your arm when she BF).
    Sorry that it turned out to be a long post but I wanted to share my experience so that you can make your decision knowing what may be coming your way in the future. I hope it works out for you and your baby.