Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Here we are again...

Default Here we are again...

I already posted earlier about my concern about Paget's disease of the nipple.

I went to the IBCLC and she took a skin sample and gave me an anti-bacterial cream. The skin sample came back all-clear. And the anti-bac cream beautifully healed the crack & flaking.
    But now here we are again!

The thing is that for the past couple of days the skin of my left nipple became thinner & thinner and started to get very dry & flaky. This strangely coïncides with my ovulation (I chart).

Could the hormones cause the skin on my left nipple to react like that? Why is it on one side only then?

On the 31st I have an appointment at the gyn. I'm sick of worrying..

If any of you has something similar, let me know... 'cause I can't deny that I am scared - again!

Default Re: Here we are again...

Dear Lady Godiva,

Don't want to minimize your concerns, but if you are still worried about Paget's . . . from what I remember, it is pretty uncommon, usually associated with an advanced underlying breast cancer (which you would know you had, since you would feel the lump), and usually occurs in women much older than you are. Also, if I remember from your original post, you initially had the dryness/itchiness on both nipples? To have Paget's disease bilaterally would be extremely uncommon . . .

Did you have the skin biopsy because of the Paget's concern? If so, and that was checked for by the pathologist, the negative result should essentially rule out Paget's as the cause of your itchy/flaky skin. If the gyn can't help, maybe a visit to a dermatologist would help?

Anyway, again, not trying to be condescending or anything, I am personally very prone to constructing worst-case scenarios and I can scare the daylights out of myself. I usually try to share my concerns with other people as you do, so they can reassure me a bit (not that the reassurance always sticks ).

Jill

Hi Jill!
    No no, your message is not condescending, on the contrary!
    I jumped into action and called one of the most experienced IBCLC in the BeNeLux. She said that for her it was a skin condition rather than a breast condition.
    So I called the dermatologist and got an appoinment... TOMORROW MORNING! I'm very glad she could take me so quickly. Someone cancelled his/her appointment just before I called.
    And if the dermatologist can't help me, I'll go and see a holistic doc while waiting to see the gyn. on the 31st.

Hi LadyGodiva,
    How did it go at the dermatologist appointment?

Mary

Hi everybody!

Sooo......... according to the dermatologist it is eczema. There is a special eczema that appears on the nipples/areola and to her it's that.

Nothing much we can do about it, exept cortisone cream.
    Now, I'm not a big fan of cortisone, so I use it verrrry sparingly and I didn't have to use it for a couple of days. The skin looks fine.

What I think did the trick was the soapfree soap the dermatologist gave me. That in combination with a special oil treatment in the shower/bath really keeps the skin of my nipples/areola supple and moisturized.

I friend of mine, who is a doctor, had another good idea: Should the flaking start again, have a new skinsample done on a special agar and check for a fungus called 'cryptococcus'. But this has to be done on this agar and with iron buffers, so I'll have to make sure there is a lab in the region able to do this. Shouldn't be a problem, though.

But I hope that this skin condition is finally under control now!

1000 thanks for your listening ears, ladies!

Thanks for the update. You must be so relieved!

Mary

Glad to hear it has resolved with minimal treatment. Good detective work on your part!

--Rebecca

I had the exact same thing when DD1 was a toddler. So glad you found the right help early! Took me forever to get the right answers. Hooray!

jillanne wrote:
    "Don't want to minimize your concerns, but if you are still worried about Paget's . . . from what I remember, it is pretty uncommon, usually associated with an advanced underlying breast cancer (which you would know you had, since you would feel the lump), and usually occurs in women much older than you are. Also, if I remember from your original post, you initially had the dryness/itchiness on both nipples? To have Paget's disease bilaterally would be extremely uncommon . . ."

I wanted to write to clear up the above misconception about Paget's disease of the breast. It IS associated with breast cancer, but you do not necessarily feel a lump (or even have one by mammogram), or have a prior diagnosis of breast cancer. Paget's can be the presenting symptom of breast cancer (ie. no other symptoms, no lumps, no abnormal mammogram, etc).

But the other things jillanne wrote are right on the mark-- it is usually seen in older women, and it would be very unusual to be on both sides at the same time.

Anyway, it sounds like the biopsy proved that it was not Paget's, thank goodness.

Sorry, I need to re-phrase something: Paget's disease of the breast is not ASSOCIATED with breast cancer, it IS breast cancer. The breast cancer cells start migrating through the skin causing the crusted appearance.