Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Possible to skip a night?

Default Possible to skip a night?

Ds is 14 months old and is down to nursing once a day right before bed. The process has been totally child led. Honestly, there are days that I think he would go right to sleep without nursing, but I am not ready to give it up completely. But, that being said... is it possible to skip the occasional night without huge amounts of discomfort. I am thinking I want to change my weekly yoga class to an earlier class, but that would put me not getting home until after ds goes to bed, hence missing his before bed nursing session. Any one been there?

Default Re: Possible to skip a night?

My 2 year old nurses 6 to 8 times a day and I left her for a whole weekend without bringing a pump.. and we both survived, so you'd probably be fine... I'm actually kind of jealous. (shhh don't tell dd)

I made one mistake and here's what I learned: If you start to feel full, hand express or pump some milk BEFORE they start to feel hard. Once they are engorged, it's hard to relieve the pressure comfortably.

Around 14 months is when I started taking the occasional overnight trip alone. DS was nursing quite a bit more frequently than your son at that point, but my supply did not seem to suffer, even though I only pumped minimally for my comfort and not to protect my supply. If you are just coming home late and you get uncomfortably full, you could wake him to nurse or you could express milk for your comfort.

Yoga class -- good for you! WTG on keeping yourself on the priority list.

--Rebecca

Keep in mind that if he misses the evening feeding he's come to expect, his nursing pattern may change and he may attempt to make up for it at some time during the night...or not.

You might be able to feed him in his sleep when you come back if you are uncomfortable. Have fun!

ahhh... yoga... I'm jealous. There is no way my 14 mo could go to sleep with out his nursing down...

Lucky duck... GO FOR IT!!!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

yeah my boy missed a feed b4 bed and then was up at midnight wanting a feed and then he spent the night in my bed and the next day i was sore i think he grazed me.

but lalty jacob has been staying over night at mums and il give him a feed b4 he goes round there , and he takes some formula with him too.

i know, i should use my expresser but i find it easier to make a bottle up, he likes it, i brought a tin of toddler milk, ewe gross my cousin tried some and said its not that bad, yuck formula smells yuck

but jacob seems to drink it, he gets cows milk threw day.

jacob will be 13mths on subday

woops ment sunday, sorry