Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calm/Sleepy during the day .... fussy at night

Default Re: Calm/Sleepy during the day .... fussy at night

My DD would only suck on my finger and wouldn't take a pacifer until she was about a month old. The sucking on the finger didn't seem to mess up the nursing. My Pedi told me at our 2 week check up that it should be ok for her to take a pacifer.

Quote Originally Posted by txdaddy View Post
    I had a question about this, as I've tried doing this a few times, and it has had some success with calming him. If we're still getting nursing established, is it a good idea to let him suck on a pacifier or even my finger for very long? We had to wean him off the bottle and onto the breast, and I'd hate to screw up any progress we've made with this.
    With that in mind...you may want to skip the paci for a while. BUT, I don't think the finger will hurt things. You can offer your pinky finger...pad side up and that may comfort him.

This is of course if your wife needs a break. If he's willing to nurse and just wants to stay latched on...then by all means, do it! But if he's eaten and mommy needs a few minutes break...this might help too!
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Just wanted to second the Happiest Baby on the Block book - it helped our ds as well. Also -- I think I was my sons pacifier and still am at times he's now 22 months. Sounds crazy but the time flies. Keep up the great work and support of your wife. I would not have made it if it weren't for my husband.

Wonderful! WTG!

Skin to skin contact with mom can really help with the overall fussiness, and help baby become better at breastfeeding.

Here's some more reading for you, re: what to expect this week:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/ne...tml#afterweek1

Keep us updated!

Just another note on the finger sucking. My "The Breastfeeding Book" by the fabulous Dr. Sears recommends finger sucking for additional comfort after your LO is full.... much more than a pacifier which can trigger nipple confusion. My DH's pinkey is a lifesaver or sanitysaver at Owens' evening fussy time. I just recently cut off my pinkey fingernail so I could rest my nipples the other night as DH was not home!!!
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet