Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calm/Sleepy during the day .... fussy at night

Default Calm/Sleepy during the day .... fussy at night

So we've been exclusively bf'ing for about 4 days now, and for the most part our son has been getting the hang of it. However, he seems to be very fussy at night, often breaking off the latch and crying. Sometimes he'll do this after he's been nursing for 30 minutes; sometimes he'll do it right away. This can go on for hours. In contrast, during the daytime, he usually has no trouble latching on and nursing without interruption.

I know that all babies are different, and there is a wide range of what's considered "normal" behavior. Has anyone else had this problem? He's also 9 days old, and I've read that babies go through a growth spurt at about 7-10 days, and they can be extra fussy during this time. Could it also be due to his schedule being reversed? If he's more awake at night, could he be fussier?

Default Re: Calm/Sleepy during the day .... fussy at night

Congrats on exclusive BF!!! You three are doing great.

My baby was colicky and fussy especially during the "witching hours" about 6 pm to midnight. It is normal for babies to have a period of time where they are just fussy and cry for no reason. For her, it was partly discomfort from gas (eliminating milk and soy from my diet helped), partly just being over-tired at that point I think.

It gets bettter on it's own as they get older. I found that having a very set routine for bedtime helped settle her down - same time, same place, same lighting, same music, etc.

welcome to witching hour! dd goes through this when she is having a growth spurt too... congrats to you and your family for getting through the first week!!!

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

I agree...normal...My LO is 5 wks old and typically wants to nurse non-stop from 6-9. Dinner is quite the challenge. I am learning to nurse with one arm while eating and feeding my 2 yr old with the other. When I need a couple minutes I hand him over to DH for a few minutes with his pinkey. It will get better with time
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

I would recommend swaddling. That SAVED us.

The Miracle Blanket
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

my son was quite fussy in the evenings, until about 3 months and it just suddenly stopped. I agree that it is pretty common.
    Here is a good link about fussy evenings and ways to help make it easier on both mom and dad and baby.

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Hehe ... I kinda wish it was from 6pm to midnight. Right now he's doing this anywhere from 12am to 7am. Swaddling does seem to help, as does taking him for a ride in the car. These will usually allow him to get calm enough to get back on the breast, at which point he will invariably break off again and start crying.

Then again, he's only been exclusively bf'ing for 4 days, so maybe this is also part of the usual bumpiness that comes along with getting feeding established??

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Daddy...after mama has fed baby and you guys feel like he's full...can you swaddle him tightly and hold him upright against your chest and allow him to suck on your finger? OR...offer a paci and bounce him? Swaddling and motion may help.

Try "The Happiest Baby on the Block" by Harvey Karp....that really helped with our fussy boy.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

The more he nurses during the day the better he should sleep at night, but he's still very young so he could just be trying to adjust to being out of your warm belly. Sometimes they are not so much hungry but just want to be held. When he gets fussy, hold him skin to skin...his body (with just a diaper) on your bare chest. When he calms down then try latching him again...skin to skin usually works like magic. The sound of your heart will bring a him to a calmer state which will allow him to nurse without being fussy. You're doing great!
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Quote Originally Posted by TexasMommy View Post
    Daddy...after mama has fed baby and you guys feel like he's full...can you swaddle him tightly and hold him upright against your chest and allow him to suck on your finger? OR...offer a paci and bounce him? Swaddling and motion may help.
    I had a question about this, as I've tried doing this a few times, and it has had some success with calming him. If we're still getting nursing established, is it a good idea to let him suck on a pacifier or even my finger for very long? We had to wean him off the bottle and onto the breast, and I'd hate to screw up any progress we've made with this.