Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Only 5 wks old - possible GER - what do I do?

Default Only 5 wks old - possible GER - what do I do?

ok - I was about to post when I saw another post a little further down with the same symptoms i'm seeing lately - only it's getting worse and I don't know what to do.

So the problem - I'll be feeding her, and she will suddenly clamp down on the breast and push it out of her mouth at the same time - which is killing my nipples. Right now they are so sore I'm actually considering a bottle of formula if she wants to nurse again - I can't touch the nipples without wincing, and don't have any pumped milk in reserve right now. She's been gnawing on the nipple and she'll start crying in the middle of nursing, tense up, arch and push me away while clamping down at the same time.

It's only started recently - within the past few days - and it's worse today than ever. How do I know for sure that it's ger?

How do I know if it's something else? how can I nurse her without her doing this if it's possible?

thoughts?

owww...

Default Re: Only 5 wks old - possible GER - what do I do?

ok im over the brief thought about not nursing - she is crying if i dont let her sit upright- looking at me while i bounce her makes her less fussy. she IS gassy.. but seems really uncomfy - not sure what to do help???

i have her latched on the left now - seems ok for the moment - i have her in a half sitting - part football hold. not sure if it will continue to be ok...

the right is way to sore to consider nursing at the moment.. she doesnt really spit up a lot. it was almost nonexistent up until a week ago or so - now it happens maybe 2 times a day - and appears to be just overflow milk - comes up right away not curdled.

im lost

sometimes when she pushes me off i think its involuntary - she doesnt appear to have full control of her arms yet. any ideas would be appreciated - thank you!

first of all...it will be ok!! I promise it gets easier! Nobody tells you how difficult it can be in the beginning, do they?!?!?

It could be reflux, if sitting up seems to make her feel better. My first thought was that maybe you have over active let down (OALD). This means that the milk comes out really fast when you have let down. This usually causes babies to pull off and get upset. Can you tell when you are having let down? it's that tingly feeling. If you can tell when it's coming, it might help to pull her off (put your finger in the corner of her mouth to break the seal before taking her off the breast) and wait a minute. The milk flow will slow down then and she won't have as much trouble. You could also pump until the let down is over and then latch her on. I would call a lactation consultant or your doc to see what you can apply to your nipple to decrease the pain. I highly recommend "all purpose nipple ointment" - you have to get a prescription for it. If it doesn't seem to be OALD, but reflux instead, you just need to make sure she stays more upright for at least 30 minutes after she eats (and of course while she's eating). If the pain seems to be really bothering her, you should call her doc because they might recommend zantac. If it seems like gas, you can give her drops - I can't think of what they are called off the top of my head, but I'm sure a pharmasist can tell you.

Don't worry...many of us go through this! It really does get better. You're doing great! Hang in there!

p.s. when I had really sore nipples when my son was newborn, I just pumped and gave bottles until they were healed.
    Last edited by zookeeper; April 6th, 2008 at 07:32 AM.
    Jillian
    Mommy to ...
    Ella (11/03/04)
    Owen (03/29/07)
    Cate (11/17/08)

I would look into the overactive supply and letdown as well. Another reason for reflux can be milk/soy protein intolerance. All 3 of mine had that, but the last 2 had reflux as well. Changing my diet helped, but they still needed meds. Evan was on them till 21 mos! You could try some Mylanta Supreme as well if you didn't want to try rx reflux meds right away.
    Jennifer, child passenger safety technician and mama to,
    AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), and Olivia (2/12/09)

well i think it may have been gas. Odd - the symptoms presented exactly the same as what I saw in that other post on GER -

what makes me think it was gas - about an hour after I posted last night - she woke up hungry - I started to feed her and she wasn't acting as fussy - but - I did try to burp her. she let out a sizable burp, and I got a good tablespoon or more of cottage cheese looking spit-up. To my unexperienced eye - it appeared to be milk that had been sitting for awhile - which may have been due to a large gas bubble? Maybe this was why she was acting as she did?

She hasn't done the crying, pushing, clamping thing since she burped that mess up. However, she still will be nursing and on occassion 'stretch' while still attached which yanks on the nipple. This is not nearly as bad as the other issue - so I'll take it.

Thank you everyone!! I just think it's odd that the same symptoms don't mean the same problem necessarily -
    thanks again!

tina

That sort of thing can come from a problem, but it can also be just one of those things babies do. My little guy did that some at that age. He tended to clamp and pull when he was starting to lose interest. I would watch really carefully and try to head it off by detaching him before he could pull. Another trick is to hold their head in place with your other hand. Then they can clamp but not pull. Hope she calms down for you.

Needing to burp can definitely make them do that. My lo has issues burping and has reflux. Giving her Mylicon (or the store brand gas drops) helps, and also pushing her knees to her tummy to get it out the other end. The nipple pain will get better! I thought it never would! If you have to pump and give her a bottle for a few feedings, it makes like so much less painful. And if you are more comfortable, the feeding will be easier!!

Loving being a first time mom to Mia Lynn! Born 2/26/08!!

At birth:8 lbs
    Coming home: 7 lbs 6 oz
    1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs