Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: could child rubbing eyes be a food allergy?

Default could child rubbing eyes be a food allergy?

my LO went to the eye dr and everything checked out ok. he's 9 months old. but he rubs his eyes almost constantly some days. could this be a food allergy? (to something he's eating, or i'm eating)? eye dr said she could find no eye related reason as to why he is rubbing eyes, he is right where he should be, etc for his age. some days the rubbing is worse than others.

Default Re: could child rubbing eyes be a food allergy?

does he appear to have any redness that would concern you? what about bluish circles under his eyes? (these are known as allergy shiners)

it could be allergies. if you are concerned that it is, follow your gut and get it checked out. BUT it could just as easily not be allergies. some babies just rub their eyes.

my daughter has always rubbed her eyes as a soothing mechanism when she is trying to go to sleep. i picked up on it right away because her dad does the same thing and it is so excessive that it makes me crazy. she also did rub her eyes throughout the day for awhile while we were having some serious allergy battles. now that it is more controlled she does not rub her eyes all day every day but still rubs them when falling asleep. are you following? basically i'm just trying to say I have a daughter who does both and usually i cold discern when it was allergies and when it was not.

good luck!

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

occasionally tiny red veins in the eyes, but eye dr said she did not see the usual symptoms of seasonal, etc. allergies in his eyes, but i am wondering if food allergies could make eyes itch?

According to my Dr. Sears baby book...any symptom that could signal a cold could signal any type of allergy as well. So..yep, could definately be a food allergy.

Another thing that makes my eyes itch like crazy during the winter time is a dry house...therefore extremely dry eyes as well as throat. Have you tried adding some moisture to the main living space? Set up your vaporizer and let it run..see if it improves??? HTH
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

Quote Originally Posted by Aidens Mommy View Post
    According to my Dr. Sears baby book...any symptom that could signal a cold could signal any type of allergy as well. So..yep, could definately be a food allergy.
    So, my DD is 6 months, and we started solids with her several weeks ago (so far she's had bananas & sweet potatoes, and rice cereal since she was about 4.5 months old...) and she's going on 3 weeks now of having a runny nose. Could her runny nose for this long mean she has food allergies? She has no other symptoms of having allergies... Food allergies do not run on either mine or DH's family...

Thanks,
    Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by buff24 View Post
    So, my DD is 6 months, and we started solids with her several weeks ago (so far she's had bananas & sweet potatoes, and rice cereal since she was about 4.5 months old...) and she's going on 3 weeks now of having a runny nose. Could her runny nose for this long mean she has food allergies? She has no other symptoms of having allergies... Food allergies do not run on either mine or DH's family...

Thanks,
    Buff
    To echo the pp, it COULD be a food allergy but it is not NECCESARILY a food allergy. You have to take it in context with any other worrisome things and with your doctor's imput. Personally I think that mommy instinct goes a long way and doctors do not see them enough to make the best judgement call (which is why they need your imput) but your doctor can be a great soundingboard and a trusted ally when trying to figure out potential allergens. Basically it is a crazy, trial and error guessing game most of the time.

So, if you see some other things of concern, go to the doctor. But otherwise a runny nose could be a number of other things, one of which is teething and your dd is at the prime age for that!

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

I would venture to say that if the foods have been consumed for 6 weeks now and the runny nose has been for 3, they are not related. You should notice the affects of a food quickly.

My oldest had a runny nose for gosh almost a month before it went away. I attributed it to teething at first. Then thought hmm, maybe he has a cold. It became a normal bothersome thing to just wipe his nose. The mucus was always clear and was not accompanied by any fussiness or fever, etc. Then I began using the vaporizer every night in his room and before I knew it he was better. Since he is constantly eating new foods, it's hard for me to tell the culprit at times....but I think it is safe to say that your LO is not affected by the foods you have introduced thus far...HTH
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

Yes, like Aiden's Mommy, my LO's nose always ran clear... and thankfully is starting to clear up!! Finally! She goes to daycare, so I just never know what kind of weird bugs she's going to pick up... Anyway, this week we introduced oatmeal, and she loves it! So far no obvious reactions to any foods...

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.