Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pain at Latch

Default Pain at Latch

My daughter was born on April 3. She loves to nurse and my milk came in yesterday. My son never latched directly on me but rather a shield. When she latches it is quite painful and the pain goes away in the first 30 seconds. Is this normal to get used to bf or a bigger issue? I know that she keeps trying to tuck her lower lip in and I am working on that.

Thanks!
    Last edited by tweetykl; April 6th, 2008 at 09:20 AM.
    Mom to
    Carlie 4/3/08 - bf - Allergic to milk determined by allergy testing. Adding wheat, egg, & soy to my diet.
    Allergen free diet until 6 months. No gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, nuts, treenuts, seafood, and fish for mommy as a preventative.
    Birth - 9lbs. 1oz., 20 1/2"
    6 months - 19lbs. 15oz.

Peter 8/31/05 - bf/ebf until 14 months, was allergic to wheat and milk but outgrown these allergies. Eczema brought on by berries.
    and

Default Re: Pain at Latch

i have been told that initial pain is normal but it should go away after a few moments, so it sounds normal compared to what i know... If it is constant during nursing or after it could be a latch problem. hth

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

This can be normal if it does go away fairly quickly. I had this with my first LO for quite a number of weeks....with my new LO I had it for the first couple of days then it went away. Sometimes it helps to moisten your nipple before you latch them on....a little saliva will do it. My LC compared it to cracking a huge smile with really dry lips..ouch!
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

Hi,

My son was born 2/15/08 and hen he latches on it hurts like a stabbing feeling, sometimes at the nipple and sometimes it feels deeper. I was told it could be that I have a big let down and the pressure- I do not know how true that is. However, the first couple of weeks I even tried a shiled at some feedings becasue the pain was so much but baby did not like it. Now, I expect the pain, twitch a little and then in less than 30 seconds its gone. I tend to beleive it has to do with let down because if he unlatches and I burp or get up and latch him on a couple of minutes later it does not hurt. Also, once he latches on one side, if I happen to have let down on the other breast and I switch him it does not hurt only bothers for a second.

I wish breastfeeding was black and white but there are all shades of grey... one for every baby Keep up the good work, it will get better.
    Mammakat0830

Mommy to Christian Alexander 02/15/08
    and Bryan Andrew 05/31/03

Exclusively and trying to ...

My LO was born January 9th and this still happens to me at most feedings. Especially if we are in any other position except the football hold!
    Mommy to E 12 , K 10 , A almost 6 , and Little J 20 weeks

My letdown is a sharp feeling. For me it is very bearable.....but my sister could barely take it. It was much more painful for her..she said like sharp needle like pain!?! Sounds like a letdown.....pay attention to this..if you feel the pain then immediately after that you can tell your LO starts actively sucking much quicker..then after a couple minutes settles in to a slower rhythmic pattern of sucking, it was a letdown.
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

Thank you everyone for the advice. I did get cracked nipples but they are starting to heal. I went to lactation today and she said that the latch looks wonderful.
    Mom to
    Carlie 4/3/08 - bf - Allergic to milk determined by allergy testing. Adding wheat, egg, & soy to my diet.
    Allergen free diet until 6 months. No gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, nuts, treenuts, seafood, and fish for mommy as a preventative.
    Birth - 9lbs. 1oz., 20 1/2"
    6 months - 19lbs. 15oz.

Peter 8/31/05 - bf/ebf until 14 months, was allergic to wheat and milk but outgrown these allergies. Eczema brought on by berries.
    and