Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weird, Green Crumbly Poo!

Red face Weird, Green Crumbly Poo!

My 7 month old DD had some really weird poo today and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts. She has been having a BM every other day, and they are a rusty yellow usually with the consistancy of sweet potato (why we always describe poop by comparing it to foods, I don't know).

Today she went three times and it was dark greenish and was crumbly with stringy things in it (if you wanna get really gross, like ground beef crumbles and cooked spinach!). She is EBF still. Could it be an allergic reaction to something I ate (altgough I can't think of anything different I had)? I'm vegan, so it's not dairy. She also had a lot of red around her bum today.

Thanks for any help!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Default Re: Weird, Green Crumbly Poo!

Hmmm...I would keep track of what you eat, and see if it happens again. This is coming from a food allergy family, where I did and still am doing the elimination diet. She could have some sort of food allergy, although with a vegan diet you are pretty safe, unless you have increased your soy intake. It could have been too much of something. OR it could be some fluke, she got a little bug, and the redness on the bum could just be what I refer to as poo-burn.

Was she in distress?

The PP suggested soy. What about nuts? Anything new lately?

She did have a really bad day and night, crying a lot and lots of waking last night (and, goodness, she was thrashing about in her sleep). Could have been a gassy upset tummy ... could've been her teeth coming in.

I can't think of anything new I've eaten, or even more of something than usual. We did an elimination diet and she didn't appear to react to soy ... that would kill me to give soy up as a vegan. I don't eat any nuts, no caffeine, as a vegan it's a pretty allergen free diet. But this morning she had a nice big sweet potato looking poo as per her usual bm. So it must have been a fluke as the PP said.

Dd you ever think you'd be so interested in poop as we are with our baby's??

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon