Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hoping this ends soon...

Question hoping this ends soon...

I'm once again having trouble... I'm so close to giving up, and I honest to God don't want to. He screams and cries while nursing. I re-position him, nothing. At first when we had this problem, I would lay down and let him nurse and things were going GREAT! Now...he screams and yells when I lay him on top of me to nurse. I hear him gulping, so I am assuming its oald. But I'm not sure. I've used the scissor hold to slow it down, he still yells. I get so frustrated I just take him off, and lay him in his swing, and he seems content. He doesn't eat enough, because he will fall asleep for maybe 30 minutes, and back up to nurse again, and the whole cycle starts again. Yes he has wet and poopy diapers, and plenty of them, but this is truly miserable for me, and for him. The weird thing is, when he wakes at night to nurse, he lays next to me, and does GREAT! He won't do that during th day. I took him to a frends house yesterday and left crying cause I couldn't even socialize because he was screaming like crazy! Any advice will be sooooo appreciated! I'm so helpless, and the nursing consultants I have here don't seem to care.

Default Re: hoping this ends soon...

I'm having difficulty bf my son too. I pump now for the fact he refused to learn how to latch correctly. Maybe you could try pumping during the day, and see how he does. It's not the best advice, but it's something.
    I also suffer from PPD, and I have to do what I must to feed my child. If he's not satisfied with enough milk, I give more. I know its frustrating, believe me, I know!! But it does seem to get better and work out for all of us. Just believe in yourself and your ability as a mom, and try to relax about feeding him. He could be sensing your anxiety...

It's not much, but it is a suggestion, to pump and feed. At least he's still getting breastmilk. My son doesn't get confused with being put back on the breast or having the bottle. He just wants food!! I hope this helps!!

Nicki
    Married to my BFF Yuri 10/6/2001
    Luka John born 3/4/2008 via C-section
    Fed by from birth to 3 weeks, then to 7 weeks, milk went away. Now weaned off formula!! On to goat's milk. (sweet like BM, easy to digest!)
    Been back to work since May 27th, 2008I am an RN,work on IV Team.
    Enjoying his little smiles
    So love being a momma!!
    <--Luka John, 9 months old.

Mandybug
    How old is your son?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

2 months as of yesterday...

He has done better today, but I've been waking him up to feed him, and he nurses while he is asleep...so far so good. I videod him too, doing this in case I can post it. I'm not sure if I can or not...

Have you tried laying him down on the changing table or bed and leaning over him(breast dangling) and let him try to latch that way?

Way too lazy for formula

If it is OALD, most probably it will be resolved after 3 months. Your supply will adjust and your baby will be able to handle it better as he will be older. Whenever you are at your wits end, just remember that babies change everyday, they grow up soooo fast and within a couple of weeks all of your problems will be solved. You will have new ones as with all babies and not necessarily related to BF but today's will be history.

Babies who have trouble with OALD often do better at night when they are more relaxed. At what point during nursing does the crying and screaming start? Is it when you are trying to get him latched on, during your letdown, or after that? Sometimes it helps to take baby off during the letdown, let your milk spray into something, then put him back on.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

I stay calm during all this, but it is upsetting when it goes on all day long. It happens after he nurses about 2-5 minutes. He is GREAT at night, and I take him off, and he keeps fussin'. I have been waking im during the day and he seems to be doing better, but still fusses at times. I am hoping things get better as he gets older. Will he eventually like that it comes out fast? Will he be able to handle it better as he ges older??

My DD was also VERY fussy at that age when nursing... Feeding her as soon as she started to stir from a daytime nap was something that really helped us get through the feedings. Also, sometimes swaddling a baby will help them to stay calm enough to feed... we used that one a lot too. Also, have you considered he might have reflux? When our DD was super fussy while feeding, we called her pedi and took her in. They diagnosed her with reflux and put her on meds... Zantac first, which didn't help, and then Prilosec which helped tremendously!! Anyway, only another month or so and she will go off the meds... she doesn't fuss anymore while feeding, but will spit up more when she's not on the meds.

And yes, they do get better at handling the fast flow... they get much more efficient at swallowing as they get older and can handle the letdown better... Anyway, hang in there mama, it will get better!!

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.