Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: LOST MY SUPPLY HELP!! -- urgent

Default LOST MY SUPPLY HELP!! -- urgent

WHAT WENT WRONG????

I feed on demand. Nothing has changed. Things were going well. I though it was a growth spurt because he wanted to eat around the clock and I let him. but lately he wont sleep, he is starving, and he gets PI**ED not mad but PI**ED when he nurses. I assumed it was the teeth so I had DH bottle feed him EBM because the nipple is super super soft. I just pumped so it wasn't a missed feed. But when I pumped for 10 mins on each side I got a total of 1/2 oz. COMBINED! Usually I can pump 5 mins and get 4-6 oz like its nothing.

I know the tricks of bringing the supply up but what's a FAST way to get it up? I don't have enough EBM in the freezer (maybe 15 oz) He cant take formula and he has to eat!!!!

I am soooo sad. What happened to my supply? I nurse exclusively no formula, rice cereal, water, juice anything but BM straight from the source. How could it go down? I haven't missed a feeding as a matter of fact I'm nursing more often because he is NEVER FULL. (Now I know why) My Bra is not restricting, I have not been sleeping on my stomach. I drink my weight in water, I have been eating healthy (yes I have since that post) I have been taking pre-natal's.

Default Re: LOST MY SUPPLY HELP!! -- urgent

Are you sure he's not full? It could be that you didn't pump as much since he is nursing more. It takes a little time for your body to respond to the new demand. What is his diaper output? Oatmeal worked for me when I needed a quick supply boost, if you're really freaked out maybe eat it twice a day and see what happens.

If he's teething he might want to nurse more since you milk contains a hormone that helps with the pain and the gum stimulation just feels good. He could be fussy due to the teething and your supply could be actually fine.

I know it's hard when they can't tell you what's going on but try not to stress too much since that can affect your supply. I'm sure you've heard that pumping isn't a true indicator of you supply since your son is more effective at removing milk and if he's nursing more then that would be reflected with your pumping.

Drink lots of water, eat some oatmeal, maybe look into some funugreek. You'll get through this mama

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Pumping doesn't tell you much. If you pumped after a feed, not much output could mean LO is feeding efficiently.

Check LOs latch. Eat oatmeal. Fenugreek capsules help.

Really, I bet it's a blip and will fix itself. But, in the meantime, you can make sure LO is getting milk out well with proper latch, take some milk boosters and watch the number of wet diapers. If you have 6-8 wets in a day, you're in the zone.

You could also leave DH to tend to older LO and you and baby could take a nursing holiday and stay in bed and feed for a whole day or weekend.

My guess though, is as long as the wet diapers are there, you just had a pumping fluke.

I went through this exact same thing a few months back. I called my LC in a panic. What I found out was the pump was misleading. I do not respond to a pump anymore. So, I was thinking I was empty, and I wasn't, it was just my body prefers my daughter over the pump. I found that expressing my milk by hand worked a lot better for me.
    When my daughter started the angry eating I thought for sure I was starving her. I just had to stay in for 24-48hrs and feed on demand. I went back and forth to both breasts whenever she wanted. It helped with the stimulation. With in a day or so, I had my milk up again.
    I would imagine your milk is just lower than what your LO likes, but by no means do I think you are starving him.

I agree with the PPs: the pump can be SO misleading. How's your baby's diaper output? Everything I've read says that by now baby should be making 6 or more heavy wet diapers a day; If that's happening, you don't need to worry about your supply, no matter how much or little you pump. Some women's breasts just don't respond well to the pump, sometimes it depends on what time of day it is, what kind of pump it is, etc...I've even heard some women say they had great success with pumping with one baby then not so much with another baby.

Fussing at the breast can be caused by a lot of things, so if he's making enough wet diapers, it's probably something else. Some of the ones that make mine mad at the breast are: gas, teething, growth spurt, milestones happening, just plain feeling cranky, tiredness, being too hot or too cold... Teething's probably the worst one for him, though gas can be pretty bad too.
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

well I soaked in a hot tub last night and was able to get 4 oz combined. I relazed a little after that. I had DS sleep in the bed with me and stayed open to nurse all night. and he took full advantage. lol Today he was a little calmer. I haven't pumped today though.

That past two days his output was lower but not drastically lower. He usually has 8-10 wet diapers a day and was having 4-6 that last few days. Today he had 5 but the night isnt over yet.

THANK YOU FOR THE REPLIES!!!!

I am glad to see you are on track again. I was so scared when that happened to me. My LO does not take a bottle from anyone, and has never had formula, so I thought for sure I was in for it. I was very happy when my milk came in after a short time, and my LO was happier. I have these packs that Gerber puts out and you can heat or cool them and put them in your bra. I liked to warm mine and put them in before I was nursing or pumping if I thought I was having trouble with my milk supply. I am able now to only get about 2oz total pumped a day, so I bag it and freeze it and use it when we have to. When I feel a little extra full I go an pump and store. It bis not like it used to be with 4-6oz pumps being the norm, but we are adjusting and she is happier than ever with the milk she is getting Good Luck!!