Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pulling on nipple while nursing

Default pulling on nipple while nursing

My son started over the last day or so pulling back on the nipple while it's still attached and he's still sucking on it. Needless to say, it hurts and my nipples seem to be paying the price. What would make him do this? Aside from unlatching him or pumping & feeding a bottle what else can I do to curb this behavior? I've tried holding his head tighter and it just makes him mad.

Any help is appreciated.

Default Re: pulling on nipple while nursing

I've been having the same problem (among others). I'm hoping someone will post advice for you soon so we can see why they do this!

My LO does this many times () and I was told by a child birth educator that pulling on the nipple is usually the babys way of telling the boob to produce more milk or to have another let down. This helps increase your milk supply to meet the increasing need of your LO.

Hope that helps!
    First time mom of Cristiana Veronika

Born on 1/26/08 (@ 36 wks) weighing 5 lbs 14 oz

and

+ = happy baby

The PP is accurate. It can be a letdown issue, milk coming too fast....or after the letdown is done, LO is impatient for the next one. Another cause could be the need to burp. Pay attention to when it happens and burp frequently. Make sure that your LO is elevated more if it seems to be a letdown issue. This will help them to control the flow a little better. HTH
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

I think I read somewhere that babies don't like having their heads held, or it stimulates them to arch their backs... you might want to just try applying gentle pressure on the upper shoulders or between the shoulder blades instead. I know that when my LO was a newborn she would get very mad if I tried to hold the back of her head and just pull back harder.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.