Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much breastmilk?

Default How much breastmilk?

This is a question about the little baby that I watch.

I'm curious to know how much expressed breastmilk a 5 month old should be taking in. When I look around online all I see is that it says a breastfed baby should nurse 8-10 times a day or a formula fed baby should drink 32 oz. Would the breastmilk be the same in amount as the formula? His mom is only able to pump so much a day and is worried that she is soon going to run out of frozen milk. Her MIL and mom are pushing her to put rice cereal in his bottle to keep kim satisfied longer. Her doctor said she could start spoon feeding him. I've tried encouraging her to wait just b.c. he was born a month early and just isn't really showing any signs of being ready.

Any suggestions?
    ~*~LaDonna~*~

Wife to David 08.10.03
    Mommy to Elijah 12.4.05, born 3 weeks early and who self-weaned at 16 months
    Milk Bar to Liliana 08.10.07

♥Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone~♥

I'm a mama and proud of it!

Default Re: How much breastmilk?

Do you know how much he is nursing while at home? That's really going to determine how much he really needs to have.

If he's nursing well and through the night then a couple oz ever couple of hours would probably be good - but if he's reluctant to nurse or sleeping though the night then his intake needs to be higher for the hours that he's awake.

How much is she giving now?
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

I am still struggling with the same issue. Here is the calculator from http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
    What I don't like about this calculator is that it does not take into account the weight/age of the baby.
    My local LLL told me 2 to 2.5 oz of nourishment per pound of body weight per 24 hours in divided feedings.
    I think this comes closer. Now the other issues is - is the baby still hungry after he finishes his bottle? I think that is hard for a babysitter to decide, because maybe sometimes just likes to suck on that easy going bottle.

I also don't think he gets 5 oz during a feeding on my breast! Or how can I ever know?

sorry to sort of answer your question with a question.
    mother to Noah 9/17/2007
    wife to Victor 6/20/2006

Love to &
    because it is worth it

Whoops I completely forgot I posted this.

In regards to LLLJessica's post I believe he's nursing every 3 hours unless he's asleep. He can at times nap as long as four hours. He is also sleeping through the night the majority of the time.

He gets here at 7:30 and if he hasn't eaten that morning she feeds him. Usually though he'll have ate at 6 or so and arrives here asleep which he stays that way for about 3 hours. When he's here with me he usually takes in 2 (4 ounce) bottles. After the four ounces he seems content. I just wonder if it would be better to feed him smaller amounts more often.

She's worried about pumping b.c. she's only doing so on the days that she works and that usually only gives her 9 ounces. I need to ask if she pumps on the days she works from home. She's a new mom and I'm never sure how to approach her on things. I feel like I always sound so pushy.
    ~*~LaDonna~*~

Wife to David 08.10.03

♥Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone~♥

I EP for dd. At that age she took about 35 oz a day. She remained in the 25th percentile, so she was not overfed. I am now bfing ds who is 4.5 months old. Sometimes I weigh him before and after a feeding. He takes between 3-6.5 oz at each feeding. He seems to average around 4 oz a feeding. He eats every 2-3 hours around the clock, with a 4 hour stretch in the late evening. He is in the 55th %ile for weight. HTH

Oh and I wanted to add that he's a preemie. Well he was born a month early and weighed 7 lbs. He'll be 6 months in May and is still wearing 0-3 month outfits.
    ~*~LaDonna~*~

Wife to David 08.10.03

I don't have any advice about this issue, but I wanted to say good for you for being so supportive of and helpful to a breastfeeding mama!! I wish more childcare providers were like that.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

If I'm at work for a whole day, my little guy eats about 2 4 oz. bottles of pumped milk. He's 4 months and about 15 lbs. If the mom is pumping 9 oz in a day that's just aboutwhat you said her baby is eating. If she wants to pump a bit more to build the stash, that would be okay too, but it doesn't sound urgent.

The 9oz is not a bad amount, it's a little iffy only because he sleeps though the night and only eats every three hours - since that would only 6 times he was eating (assuming he's sleeping about 6 hours a night)
    If she were asking me I would encourage her to nurse on cue - as much as he needed - scheduling the baby isn't a good idea when your worried about weight gain or dehydration. He might schedule himself this way, in that case she might need to encourage him to nurse more while home.

How are his diapers when he's with you? This can really tell you a lot.

Cereal is not a great idea for a small baby or one that is having trouble gaining weight. Cereal has LESS calories and none of the good fat that breast milk does, so she would essentially be feeding him LESS.

Breaking up the bottles might be a good idea - this baby might tank up and only nurse once in awhile - although that is the rare breast fed baby!

Are you concerned about the amount he's taking? Weight gain?
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!