Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dwindling supply, so many possible reasons

Unhappy Dwindling supply, so many possible reasons

Where to even begin? My DD is 6 mos old and I have been back to work and pumping for about 3 months. I've noticed a dip in my supply and I'm not sure what to do. When I pump at work (about 3x a day) I don't seem to have enough milk for her when I nurse her that evening. However, when we nurse exclusively all weekend, I have plenty fo milk all day and into the eveing. It seems strange to me that pumping (both sides at once) doesn't *increase* my supply since when I nurse, DD only eats from one side at a time, so one breast could go 6 hours between feedings--(less stimuli, shouldn't it then produce less milk?)
    Also, my left breast produces about one third of what my right produces (if I go by pumping output), and the supply in the left breast is the one that seems to be dwindling the most--so much so that DD cries at that breast becuase she doesn't get quick letdown and finishes rather quickly and needs more.
    My first PPAF arrived last month and I noticed my supply dropped significantly during my period. How do other cope with this?
    I have so many questions and I am so confused. I can't make my LLL meetings because of my work schedule. I miss them!
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Default Re: Dwindling supply, so many possible reasons

Quote Originally Posted by Erin.Green
    When I pump at work (about 3x a day) I don't seem to have enough milk for her when I nurse her that evening. However, when we nurse exclusively all weekend, I have plenty fo milk all day and into the eveing.
    Maybe there's something else going on. Perhaps she doesn't nap well at daycare and it extra tired in the evening? What is her daycare situation?

I have the same situation you described with one breast producing less milk than the other. I usually try to start each feeding on that breast. If ds fusses too much, I switch him to the other side and reoffer it afterwards.

She seems to nap just fine at daycare--sometimes better than at home! I think I may have figured out my problem. Today I experimented with pumping every 2-3 hours at work instead of every 3-4. I realized that when I nurse her all weekend, she eats much more frequently than every three hours--it's just that every 3 hours she actually EATS, as oppossed to just sucking to go to sleep or have a "snack". I think at work I was going too long between pumps and telling my body to slow down production. I never thought it was a problem until now because I always had a very abundant supply. Now that it's not so abundant, I need to be more diligant about pumping more frequently at work. I want to start a new thread for pumping moms asking just how much their supply varies between breasts. I can literally get 8-10 ounces from the right side and only 3, MAYBE 4 ounces out of the left at the same time. It just blows me away how huge the difference is!

WOW! I am in aww of you, I wish I could get 4 oz from both sides combined! I usually get 2.5-3.5 but thats a combined effort.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

you know you can allways call your leader and ask her questions, she would love to hear from you I bet