Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My Boy is 5 months and I'm pregnant...

Default My Boy is 5 months and I'm pregnant...

I think my milk supply is decreasing and I'm looking for suggestions on how to keep nursing my son until he is at least a year old.

Default Re: My Boy is 5 months and I'm pregnant...

Congratulations on your pregnancy and wanting to continue nursing your son. Some mothers experience no supply issues during pregnancy. Others do encounter issues, especially with younger babies.

How far along is your pregnancy?

Why do you feel that your supply is going down?

Is ds eating anything besides BM?

I'm like 6 or 7 weeks along and My son will cry after I'm feed him because he is still hungry and I'll suppliment with formula and he eats between 2-4 ounces after each breast feeding. I also just started him on solids like apple sauce and yogurt.

I can understand your concern. It may help you to read some of these myths/facts about BF during pregnancy:

http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/r...myth-fact.html
    (not LLL)

While your concerns may be warranted and ds may actually need to be supplemented for a time, be assured that he may continue to nurse throughout your pregnancy. If this is your goal you may just continue to nurse as often as he likes and see how things go. Some babies will nurse right through low supply and happily enjoy the milk once it returns with the new baby!

You may also buy yourself some time with him as he is eating some solids. But, the majority of his calories should still come from BM or formula, so I would not suggest you allow the solids to take over just yet.

Good luck to you. It is a wait-and-see game right now.

Have you considered attending an LLL meeting? You will find other mothers who have had similar experiences. It always helps to know others have been there!

I now olny have enough milk that my son will nurse about 2-3 times a day but still I have to supplement after I nurse him with formula. I just want to build my supply back up and avoid using just formula.

Try eating a bowel of oatmeal for breakfast each day.

Some moms are able to maintain a full supply during pregnancy. But about 70% do notice a significant drop in supply. Keep in mind that it may not be possible to "build" back up your supply. But ds will be happy with the new milk once your new baby arrives!

Good luck!

First, congrats on your pregnancy. My son is 5 1/2 months old and I was in your shoes until yesterday. I am posting to you as a warning.

What ever you do, DO NOT TAKE FENUGREEK. I did not know I was pregnant until yesterday when I MC'ed at 8 1/2 weeks.

I had been experiencing supply issues on and off for the past 2 months. Sore nipples for 4 days last month, people kept telling me I must be ovulating for the first time and that my first PPAF would show soon. I began taking 2000 mg of Fenugreek 3 times a day for about a week then quit once my supply seemed to normalize. 2 days later I began bleeding. 3 days heavy enough for a tampon, then 7 days of spotting. We began using condoms when we BD'ed after AF until I was sure Ovulation was over again. Last week supply issues again so I started the Fenugreek again. Yesterday, CD18 (so I thought) MAJOR BLOOD. I went to the hospital to find out that I MC'ed. Supply issues were due to pregnancy. Each time I took the Fenugreek I bleed a few days later and unfortunatelly lost the baby I didn't even know we were PG with.

I just want to spare you and any other woman who may be PG and dealing with supply issues.