Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: going on vacation, do I need to bring pump...

Default going on vacation, do I need to bring pump...

Hi my son will be 2 weeks shy of a year when my husband and I go away for a 5 day vacation. He breastfeeds exclusivley 4 days a week and the other days I have to supplement with formula because I have not had much luck with pumping (believe my I have tried, 3 different pumps and all the hints from everyone) He does 3 solid meals a day also.
    I am really torn...I don't want to be done breastfeeding at a year but I am not sure I want to bring a pump with and try to make that work while I am on vacation (very stressful for me cuz I don't get hardly any milk when I pump) . How fast would I dry up? If I just hand expressed as much as I could a few times while I was on vacation would I be o.k? (please note I still don't get much when hand expressing).
    Right now I can go like 12 hours and don't feel very full but my son seems to still be getting enough milk. I don't remember the last time I felt engorged and I have gone as long as 15 hours between feedings.

If I continue bfi'ing past my vacation I plan on only nursing him in the mornings and before bed. So if I don't bring the pump and go 5 days without nursing him would I be able to continue when I get home?
    Sorry this is a lot of questions but this is my first....

Default Re: going on vacation, do I need to bring pump...

is baby going with you?

no, just me and my hubby

I read it 2 times and still didn't get that sorry...
    I think it would be worth trying to pump on vacation.
    When you get back nursing would be a great way to reconcet with baby.

your milk won't dry up in 5 days. but you will definitely get engorged and be in pain if you don't pump or hand express. if you are more comfortable hand expressing, then i wouldn't worry about bringing a pump. i would recommend expressing about every 12 hours, which is the schedule you want to have when you get back home anyway. have a great holiday!!

I think that you should bring the pump with. If you don't use it, no harm no foul. It just sits in the suitcase. Otherwise, what happens if you end up engorged and with mastitis. You definitely don't want that while on vacation with hubby.
    As far as nursing goes. I would at least try to reconnect with your LO when you get home.
    Bon Voyage!
    Wife to Michael since 11/03/01

SAHM to DD#1 1/23/95 BF 3 days
    DS#1 9/6/03 BF 6 months
    DS#2 3/1/06 BFing with no end in sight and...
    DD#2 11/04/2008 going strong.

Never thought I would tandem nurse but here I am!

214***210********200****195****190****185****180****175****170* ***165

I'd just ask hubby to help since ya'll will have lots of alone time anyway.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

I would bring the pump and use it but don't worry at all about the amount you are pumping, just think of it as continuing to provide stimulation to keep up your supply.