Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ped suggested to wean

Angry Ped suggested to wean @ 6 months

I took my 6 month old to the Ped. for her checkup and the he told me I should no longer breastfeed. He said all the nutritional and immunological benefits are over and the formula on the market is BETTER! He said my daughter will become to dependant upon me and suggested I wean her. I am not ready and neither is she. She turns her nose up at the stuff... I worked so hard to breastfeed. What bothers me the most is that he says she is perfect in every way. I don't understand why I should change a good thing? What do I do?
    Last edited by miamimama; July 18th, 2006 at 10:05 PM.

Default Re: Ped suggested to wean

IGNORE HIM! God! You might ask him if he knows the American Pediatric Society has a book out that says you should breastfeed for AT LEAST a year? ANd WHO just moved their reccomedation to at least two years? Didn't he get the memo? You don't even have to introduce soilds if your baby isn't interested! You NEVER have to introduce formula. Follow your instincts. My son is 6&1/2 months and he's still EBF. It's fine. I'm sure other Mommies will be here any minute to back me up

I can't believe there are so many ignorant doctors out there! I would relay the information DJ's mom stated (the AAP and World Health Organization's recommendations to breastfeed for AT LEAST one and two years respectively), then I'd find myself a new doctor.

Medical school still does not teach much about breastfeeding, so what pediatricians know about it is what they've chosen to learn (and apparently your doctor skipped it entirely!). Even the peds who are considered to be knowledgeable about nursing still have usually devoted a mere 8 hours to a class in breastfeeding out of those 8 or more years of schooling (I've gotten a dozen times that in hospital classes and LLL meetings!). A good doctor either has made the effort to become educated about breastfeeding (beyond the info pamphlets the formula companies send) or can refer you to an IBCLC lactation consultant for expert advice.

I love this quote:

"Parents and health professionals need to recognize that the benefits of breastfeeding (nutritional, immunological, cognitive, emotional) continue as long as breastfeeding itself does, and that there never comes a point when you can replace breast milk with infant formula, cows' milk or any other food, or breastfeeding with a pacifier or teddy bear, without some costs to the child."

-- KA Dettwyler, "Beauty and the Breast" from Breastfeeding: Biocultural Perspectives

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Like the pp said ignore your ped!! Bf is the best thing for your baby, in no way could formula be better! I can't believe he would tell you that. Your bm changes too as the baby gets older to give your lo just what they need at the right time. You are giving your child the best possible start to life, you're doing a great job. I wonder what else he may be misinformed about... Do you have the option of changing peds?

This is obviously not a pro-breastfeeding doctor. I would change doctors.

It does sound like your doctor is underinformed about breastfeeding, to say the least. It may help to show him the recommendation of the AAP, and in doing so, you may help other mothers in his practice, to whom he would be giving the same advice. It may be difficult to find a doctor who is totally pro-breastfeeding, and often mothers find that they have separate their ped's medical advice from their parenting advice. Unfortunately, many peds don't' realize the medical importance of breastfeeding, and I think it's important for mothers to help educate them!

I think it's great that you have questioned your doctor's advice. We have become a society where we put doctors on a pedestal and treat them like Gods, when in reality they are human beings who have their own opinions and ways of doing things. That's not to say that we should ignore everything they tell us, but as educated and loving parents we need to take what they say and relate it to our own lives and make it work. When it comes down to it you are the mother and know what is best for your child. Keep up the great parenting!

I say you #1 report him tot he office manager or head dr in that office - he just gave you rediculous advice! #2 I would find another ped to go to #3 I would mail the old dr some printed material on nursing. Sometimes our job is to inform the ignorant.

I agree with the PP's. This ped's advice is completely counter to the recommendations of the American Academy of Pediatrics, the World Health Organization, and loads of recent research (and even not so recent research) on breastfeeding. You can find references to much of this research on the LLL website and also on kellymom.com. The immunilogical content of milk has been shown to actually go up as the baby gets older and nurses less. The same is true for the fat content. Formula is always second best. I would take some of this information to your ped, and then switch doctors. You don't have to always agree with everything your doctor says to have a good/beneficial relationship for your child's health, but this doctor's information is SO far off that I would want to find someone else more knowledgable.

How can a six month old baby be too dependant on her mother? What does that look like? Immunological benifits last into at least toddlerhood and nutritionally, that kid will thrive for another 6 months on mostly breastmilk. Save the money you'd spend on that great formula for college.

Get a new doctor. And tell that doctor about what this one told you. Most good pediatricians would go at statements like that.

Julie