Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby/I have been sick

Default Baby/I have been sick

The baby got Sunday (lots of vomit, diarrea), was admitted to the hospital w/dyhydration on Tuesday night until Thursday. During that time I nursed, but I don't think as much as usual. Thursday she was released & I got sick, same symptoms. I didn't keep any liquids down on Thursday and forced some down on Friday.

Today is Saturday. I'm feeling much better. I am also worried about my supply/that she's getting enough. I don't think I feel as full. I had some oatmeal this morning. One reassuring thing is that last night I was nursing her and the poor thing threw up, a lot. I hated that it happened but I knew that I was producing a decent amount last night. Today she seems better & was nursing forever and I never felt the deeper sucks- then again, I could be thinking about it a lot more than usual. She does not seem upset. I have 5 oz in the freezer that I could offer her, but that's it.

Any advice/reassurance would be greatly appreciated. Should I pump? Thanks, all.

Default Re: Baby/I have been sick

Sounds like you feel pretty bad!
    I suggest that you keep nursing on demand! The more milk you let her remove the more milk you will make. It is normal for your supply to decrease when you are sick, it is temporary for the most part.
    What does your doctor say about your baby's frequent vomiting?

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    What does your doctor say about your baby's frequent vomiting?
    The hospital doctor said that we can expect some more vomiting/diarrea for the rest of the week. She said to make sure that we had at least 5 wet dipers/24 hours. She went about 24 hours before throwing up last night, and hasn't vomited during the last 15 hours or so. The diarrea has continued, about 3 times today.

She just seems so much better, too. She's on the floor with her dad right now, going after the cat's tail, she's been laughing, etc. She's not her 100%, but getting closer.

I had a similar sickness about a two weeks ago. Stomach flu...vomiting and diarrahea for a day and nausea for a couple more. My milk supply was affected by being sick but it bounced back within a day or two. Just keep drinking liquids as much as you can keep down.

Quote Originally Posted by mj4330 View Post
    I had a similar sickness about a two weeks ago. Stomach flu...vomiting and diarrahea for a day and nausea for a couple more. My milk supply was affected by being sick but it bounced back within a day or two. Just keep drinking liquids as much as you can keep down.
    Thank you both. This is good to hear! I think that it is building up a bit.

glad baby is fealing beter!