Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: starting solids question-long

Question starting solids question-long

I am trying to lean how to stard solids and BF together. It sounds really simple, I know. I am scared of starting solids and having that interfere with our BF relationship. I have asked the moms at the meetings and some say... they didn't start solids untill 1 yr. and some said that... they couldn't wait, cause their baby was ready and needed more than just milk. I am ok with not starting solids now. I just don't know how to tell if she needs more.
    Here is my confusion.... How do you tell your baby needs more if your body is always able to keep up. Say for an example... you could tell your baby needed more than just milk cause she was always nursing, but that could just be a growth spurt, or just liked to suckle ALOT.
    And if I start solids what will happen to my supply. (or even if I start a cup) One mother told me that I am being 'protective' of my nursing with her.
    I understand to nurse before solids and I know that its only for practice. But how do you know if she 'needs' it?
    I guess that I am being kinda silly to most moms.... but I have never been so successful at this. I just want to keep it going for as long as she wants. I don't want to interfere with a good thing because that's what everyone else is doing (sigh) sorry so long. I am probably over thinking this...
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

Default Re: starting solids question-long

I had the same concerns when I started DD on solids. For me, it helped to just start off slow and watch my LOs cues. We started with one meal of solids a day (dinner) and stuck with just that for quite some time...a month or two. Then I added breakfast. And I just added lunch a week ago (DD is 8 mos). I instructed the sitter to give her a bottle of BM before offering the solids and I always BF before solids for dinner and on the weekends. Each time that I added a meal I half expected her to reject some BM. Much to my surprise this has never happened. She still nurses morning, evening, bedtime, and 2xs a night, and gets 3 bottles at the sitters...PLUS 3 meals of solids. But I also know some other moms whose LOs are the same age and show little interest in solids.

I would say to just trust your instincts and follow your LOs cues. If you want to wait to start solids, don't feel pressured to start. If you want to try, go for it, and see how your LO reacts. You can always start and then back off or stop altogether if you find your LO is taking in less BM.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

I understand..... I don't want starting solids to interfere with our bfing relationship either. My son is 6 months and he REALLY wants our food.
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

So, I am over thinking it I obviously know how to do it, I just don't want to reunion a good thing

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

Here are some resources that might help. Maybe you've already seen them?

When will baby be ready for solids?
    Why delay solids?
    Baby-Led Approach to introducing solid foods

Try not to be self-conscious about "overthinking" this. I was the same way, and if you monitor this board for, oh, a week, you will see that it is a very common theme in the posts here. It just shows that you are conscientious of doing the right thing for your baby, which is a GOOD thing!!

HTH!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Once you start solids and get over the first few weeks you will feel more comfortable. It's a lot of fun and won't harm your BF'ing relationship. Just keep nursing as usual and start out with a small amount once a day. Congrats on starting a new milestone with your LO!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    Here are some resources that might help. Maybe you've already seen them?

When will baby be ready for solids?
    Why delay solids?
    Baby-Led Approach to introducing solid foods

Try not to be self-conscious about "overthinking" this. I was the same way, and if you monitor this board for, oh, a week, you will see that it is a very common theme in the posts here. It just shows that you are conscientious of doing the right thing for your baby, which is a GOOD thing!!

HTH!

So, for an example, at lunch I make chicken and mac n cheese (I am not good at cooking nor do I like it) could I put some on her plate and if she grabs at it, and is able to put it in her mouth, it would be safe for her to try? Wow, wouldn't that be nice to skip the jar food altogether! and an apple... I could try an apple wedge?

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimyh View Post
    So, for an example, at lunch I make chicken and mac n cheese (I am not good at cooking nor do I like it) could I put some on her plate and if she grabs at it, and is able to put it in her mouth, it would be safe for her to try? Wow, wouldn't that be nice to skip the jar food altogether! and an apple... I could try an apple wedge?
    I would not start with mac and cheese and chicken....... dairy is not a good thing to start with especially if your lo is 6 months. You can skip purees if you want. I pretty much did. I did regular applesauce with my lo and then pea sized pieces of soft foods like pear, brown rice, pasta, green beans, carrots, chicken, or grated apple.
    Start with foods that are least allergenic.. avoid dairy, grains (except for rice), eggs etc.
    be careful with apple- try foods that mush easily or dissolve . Apple is sort of hard unless you grate it and then its fine. Remember they don't really have enough teeth to chew so babies gum foods.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!