Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 week old, not pooping and gagging etc

Unhappy 3 week old, not pooping and gagging etc

Hi,
    I am new here (first post). Although this is my 5th baby I have never been succesful with BFing more than probably 12weeks.
    Anyway, I am kind of worried about my newborn. He is 3 weeks old tomorrow and was premmie (born just over 35wks due to antibodies).
    He has only been pooping once a week
    3 times at 1 day old and then again 7 days later and another 7days before the next.
    He was initially on 3hr feeds while under lights but since then demand with a max of 6 hrs (this was recommended by the midwives in special care). He currently feeds 3-4 times during the day and then heaps at night. He has wet diapers.
    Another worry is that he wakes up gagging at night and almost choking and frothing at the mouth . When he does this he also seems to be straining, it scares the crap out of me because I have epilepsy and I don't know if that is what is happening to him or if it's something caused from him trying to poop or if it's from wind (he has trouble bringing up his wind)
    Otherwise he's a very content baby. Doesn't scream, hardly cries etc and sleeps alot!

Has anyone else had these things happen? Any advice?

TIA

Linda

Default Re: 3 week old, not pooping and gagging etc

While I don't really have a similar experience to share, in my opinion it does sound a bit odd. I do know that some babies may only poop once a week, but my understanding is that doesn't happen until after a couple months. My son, now five months still poops several times a day. I would think that at three weeks the gastro-colic reflex would still be working and causing him to go many times a day. Just to be on the safe side I'd check with your doctor.

And, out of curiosity, why with your other children were you unable to continue breastfeeding past 12 weeks? I assume you're trying to go longer than that this time. I think you'll find tons of support on this forum and wish you the best!

Thanks for replying.
    I have an appointment for him in 2 days time. The child health clinic said the amount he's pooping is fine as long as when he does it's soft (which it is) and that it is normal for BF babies to go up to 10 days without going, they want to see him mainly because of the gagging type thing that is happening at night.

With my others there were varying reasons for not being able to BF for long, with my DD she just screamed everytime I put her to the breast and they think it was because my letdown was too fast and scared her, so I expressed as long as possible and gave EBM, with my others my milk tended to dry up fairly quickly (at least that was what I thought, but they may have just been having growth spurts now I look back). I didn't have alot of support to help me understand how it all works and with my last DS I tried to get a suplemental feeding system to get him back to BFing but they had none in stock so had to wait for it to be ordered by which time he wasn't interested in the breast anymore (he wanted instant gratification).
    My newborn DS seems to be doing the best than any have with BFing, he doesn't mind working for it and when in hospital I expressed off the oversupply of foremilk which really helped with him expecting the milk straight away! So now he's used to having to suck a bit before getting a letdown rather than expecting instant gratification, plus I had the suplemental nursing system already this time so was able to use that when it seemed my supply may not have been enough and keep him on the breast!
    I still worry about him not getting enough, but he seems content so he must be!

Well we had to take Alex to the dr's after the clinic today. He has lost more weight rather than gaining any
    He was 6lb 3.5oz at birth, on day 6 (date of discharge)he had dropped to 5lb 9oz and now at 3wks1day he has dropped further to 5lb 6oz or 5lb 2oz depending on whether I go by dr's scales or the clinic scales.
    It was also found that he has a tongue tie (probably why he slips off the breast quite a bit) and is still a bit jaundiced.
    He has to have a urine test in the morning and we are going to see about having his tongue snipped. Apart from that I am to give him 60ml of EBM every night and keep BFing as normal as well.
    I'm so sad that my baby isn't thriving, why can't I get this right just this once!

Hang in there! That would be so scary having him gag through the night. You just take it easy and try not to get too stressed! My thoughts are with you!!!

I just wanted to encourage you to keep trying! You are doing the best thing that you can for your little guy, and you will be successful! I know it is HARD and can be discouraging, but things will get better! I too had a strong let down which my DD struggled with, but it gets better with time and work. Mine also has reflux- maybe that is why your son is gagging?