Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ped Advocates Pediasure for 6 month old

Default Ped Advocates Pediasure for 6 month old

Hi, I wonder if anyone has an informed opinion about Pediasure. I have a super active, super happy, slow weight gain son. My ped is very pro breast feeding and told me to wait til 6 month to introduce solids. My husband thought our lo was ready at 5 months, I eventually agreed with him about 2 weeks before he turned 6 months and was astounded at how much he wanted to eat straight away - grabbing the spoon to his mouth on the first try. Now, we just had a ped check-up at 6.5 months and he told us off for introducing solids so soon. Also, our lo's weight gain was even worse after solids introduction (presently 13.5 lbs). So far we had fed carrot, sweet potato (hands down favourite!), pear & apple but the ped said the first month should be rice cereal only. He also said to feed Pediasure 4 oz morning and 4oz last thing before bed. So that's what I've done the last few days and lo loves the Pediasure and not the cereal. I looked online and see that Pediasure is not intended for children under 1 year. Does anyone know why this is? Is there a downside to feeding it? I like the idea of feeding my lo up - I live in central america where there is a lot more potential for illness than back home and he looks just perfect to me (charts aside) but doesn't have an ounce of fat he can afford to lose. Any advice please?

Clare's Mum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Ped Advocates Pediasure for 6 month old

This is what I found on-line along with a warning that Pediasure is not intended for children under the age of one probably due to the long list of ingredients. It looks to me like a lot of fillers, sugar, artificial flavor etc, that I wouldn't want my lo eating. I would worry about allergies as many of the ingredients are not recommened for babies, and some I don't even think are part of a food group. I am no doctor and this is just my opinion. I do wonder if it is possible that your doctor is suggesting pedisure because of a financial incentive? Some companies do offer them to doctors. Also many people choose not to give their lo rice cereal and opt for fruit and veggies instead. Have you tried avacado, it is wonderful and full of good fats.
    I'm sure lots of other moms will have good advice for you.

Ingredients of Pediasure Enteral:

Water, corn maltodextrin, milk protein concentrate, sugar (sucrose), high oleic safflower oil, soy oil, medium chain triglycerides; Less than 0.5% of: natural and artificial flavor, [oat fiber & soy fiber (Fiber Formula only)], dextrose, potassium citrate, magnesium phosphate, cellulose gel, salt (sodium chloride), potassium chloride, calcium phosphate, potassium phosphate, choline chloride, soy lecithin, mono- and diglycerides, carrageenan, ascorbic acid, cellulose gum, m-inositol, taurine, ferrous sulfate, dl-alpha-tocopheryl acetate, L-carnitine, zinc sulfate, calcium pantothenate, niacinamide, manganese sulfate, thiamine chloride hydrochloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, cupric sulfate, vitamin A palmitate, folic acid, biotin, chromium chloride, potassium iodide, sodium selenate, sodium molybdate, phylloquinone, vitamin D3 and cyanocobalamin.

Here is info with the calorie & fat content of many baby foods.

Breastmilk has by far alot more calories and fat than most baby foods.

To help baby get more of the higher fat hindmilk, doing breast compressions may help.

I'm not an expert - just the mom of another small baby. I found that I preferred doing more breastfeeding than solids because of the higher fat & calorie content of breastmilk.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

That is a horrible looking list of ingredients... But what can I do so my lo picks up weight? Avocados are only available here in season and I'm looking forward to being able to give him that. I've looked online a bit at Pediasure and it seems that it has cows milk in it - so perhaps that's why it is not for under 1 yr olds... But my ped didn't mention a concern about allergies with Pediasure - although he is concerned about allergies in the introduction of solids (he told me only rice cereal until 7 months then introduce other foods for a whole week before introducing another - he also doesn't recommend fruit as it "has nothing in it").

See the link in my post above - breast compressions may help your LO get more of the fatty hindmilk when your son breastfeeds.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

One month seems like an excessively long time to offer only rice cereal, especially when there are far more nutritionally dense foods to try. My son has been very slow to take to solids so I try to make a point to offer foods that are high in calories and good fats.

Pedis in many countries, like Canada, recommend chicken and turkey as a first food. The dark meat is high in calories, fats, and iron. Whole milk yogurt is very healthy and can be started as young as 6 months.

I would keep offering fruits too, they are low in calories, but high in vitamins and fiber. Plus, you're building healthy eating habits for the future. Just make sure, no matter what foods you give him, that you nurse beforehand. It sounds to me like you are doing a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    he also doesn't recommend fruit as it "has nothing in it").
    This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Fruit has nothing in it. Like no vitamins, minerals, fiber, antioxidants....... And rice cereal which really has nothing in it except for the added artificial/poorly absorbed iron is recommended over fruits. Oh my God!
    And the pediasure! It is a horrible thing even for an adult with that list of ingredients let alone for a baby.
    I am sorry about my reaction but I'm horrified by your pediatrician's suggestions.
    My baby slowed down in terms of weight gain around 4-6 months and what I did was (besides BF as much as possible on demand) I mixed pureed avocados, pureed bananas and some EBM and gave him that mixture (which is delicious too) every day. If you cannot find avocados every season bananas will work too since it is high-calorie fruit too. I also put some extra virgin olive oil into his vegetable and meat purees and some extra virgin coconut oil into his fruit purees. Sure enough he jumped up on the charts and is quite chubby now.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will try the breast compressions and reassess the "only rice cereal" thing in a day or so. My LO was really loving the foods I made him and is clearly much less keen on the cereal. I'd never heard of Pediasure until my ped appointment 2 days ago and now, having read a bit online, I am really surprised that he recommend it as he is quite a strict BM only Dr and it definitely isn't because he has a financial incentive as he told me it would be cheapest for me to buy it at the store. It is often very hard to know the best thing to do for your LO!

dr sears has some great info on starting soilds on his webs site...
    http://www.askdrsears.com/

or the web pages here:
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBsolids.html

I realy like this one it touches on a bunch of good points
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug01p150.html

rice cereal is over prosseced and isn't going to help baby gain weight!

To give him the fatty milk you can also pump about an oz so that he gets more fatty milk. Also, I just wanted to say that I wouldn't worry too much if your baby is happy- my son has always been on the small side. You should probably lay of the pediasure too bc it's probably going to lower your supply. Good luck!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!