Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: if i stop pumping during weekdays will there be milk for nursing during weekends?

Default if i stop pumping during weekdays will there be milk for nursing during weekends?

Sorry, i just had to ask

My son is 10 months old and i'm thinking of weaning off from the pump when he is a year. He weighed 20 lbs during his 9 month check-up. Currently, he does not take the bottle, eats solid food 3x a day (we are slowly introducing real food, most of the day it's pureed), nurses around 4:30 pm (when i get home), 6-7 pm (before bedtime), between 10-11 pm (when he wakes up, if not hooray for me!), then around 2 pm and nurses on and off until he wakes up at 6:30 am.

At work, i used to pump 3x a day (9:30 am, 11:30, 1:30 pm), then I cut it down to 2x a day (10 am and 1 pm). I add the EBM to his food and also puts it in a sippy cup for him to practice drinking milk from a sippy (which now he still plays with it more than drink from it). Basically, i just use 4 - 6 oz of EBM a day, and the rest of the BM i freeze it for future use.

I want to stop pumping because it does take a lot of time and effort (not to mention washing the parts 2x a day). I am a teacher and I plan to teach during the summer break for a month. But my schedule would only allow me to pump 1x a day (9-2 pm sched), or none at all. I would only work 4x a week.

Questions:
    1. Will there be enough milk during the weekend even if stop pumping? - I really don't know

2. How often do you still nurse after a year? at 10 months, during the weekends, i nurse on demand. should i have a schedule set for him?

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

Default Re: if i stop pumping during weekdays will there be milk for nursing during weekends?

I cut back on my pumping when DD turned a year and eventually got to where I completely stopped. (Took a couple weeks.) I have not noticed any change in supply on weekends. She is 14 1/2 mos now and I still nurse on demand on the weekends. I still nurse about 4x's/day when I'm working during the week. I'd say go for it. You should be fine.
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

Default Re: if i stop pumping during weekdays will there be milk for nursing during weekends?

I think you should still let them lead even at a year.
    Shure you can have lunch at a set time and snacks and dinner at a set time.
    but nursing on demand still is alright at 1 or even 2 for some kids.
    most will space out their feeds to something that works for them.
    My dd nursed for over a year at just bed time!
    So i'm sure that you will have plenty of milk if you pump only one time a day!

My son just turned 1, and I haven't pumped during the day in probably two months or so (I just wasn't able to have a letdown with the pump anymore). He has 3 meals a day plus a snack, and drinks a good bit of water, and on weekends we nurse without any problems.

thanks ladies!

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

I am really glad you asked that question because I was wondering the same thing.

It is good to know that cutting out the pumping during work shouldn't put an end to our nursing after work and on weekends.
    Carol
    Proud mom to,
    Cassi 5/17/85
    Carlie 3/16/96

The Twinzillas
    Camryn 8/17/06
    Carson 8/17/06
    & their Shadow
    Caitlyn 4/22/07

Quote Originally Posted by AkRotts View Post
    I am really glad you asked that question because I was wondering the same thing.

It is good to know that cutting out the pumping during work shouldn't put an end to our nursing after work and on weekends.
    I can honestly say that it hasn't affected our nursing after work and on weekends at all, but I worried about it too. And it was a huge relief for me to stop pumping; I tried everything I could find to try to make it work, but I just stopped letting down with the pump, and the constant stress about it was counterproductive. It actually made me more relaxed to be able to stop--especially when I saw that he wasn't suffering without it.

I stopped pumping at work when DS was 16 mo.

DS is currently 20.5 mo and nurses on demand when we're together. He currently is nursing about 4 times a day.

My experience is that I gradually "pump weaned" so when I stopped pumping it was a gentle transition.

Right after I stopped pumping - I'd have very "full" days on Mondays at work so would hand express a little for comfort.

I have not noticed any impact on nursing on the weekends. My milk is always there when DS needs it.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Each time I dropped a pump session my supply took a hit. I still have enough MM that I am able to nurse more than just first thing in the AM and before bed on weekends, but definitely not enough to be the sole liquid refreshment on weekends. Then again I have twins and they're two now, so I think a drop in supply was more likely for me at this point than you.