Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pumping in a Bathroom... funny story

Default Pumping in a Bathroom... funny story

So I just had to share my funny experience last week while pumping... I work full time and when I'm in the office I am able to go in to a private office three times a day to pump and have had no problems with corwokres or anything else. Last week I was out of the office at a conference for two days, so I had to bring my pump with me and go in to the bathroom of the hotel where the conference was to pump. The first day I was in there and all was quiet for the first several minutes. Then a group of ladies came in to the bathroom and started a conversation like so...
    - Do you hear that noise?
    -- Yeah, what is it? It sounds weird.
    - I don't know. It does sound weird.
    -- You know, it sounds like something spraying... like maybe one of those automatic air freshners or something.
    - You're right... it does. But it must be broken because it just keeps spraying and spraying.
    -- Yeah, that's it... because it does smell really strong in here.
    - It sure does. That's got to be what it is. It smells so strong in here!
    -- They really need to fix that. The smell is strong!
    So my breastpump had convinced these ladies that there was a broken automatic air freshner in the bathroom and they even began to smell the air freshner! I wonder if it smelled like breast milk!
    And even funnier, the second day of the conference I was in the bathroom pumping again and I overheard a similar conversation!!
    So I told a few of the girls I work with and now whenever we're in the office and they know I've just finished pumping, they'll tell me the air freshner in my office smells very strong!

Default Re: Pumping in a Bathroom... funny story

That's a great story, I'm so glad you shared! We so often hear not-so-good stories about pumping, it's nice to hear something positive (and funny!).

At least they thought it smelled good, not icky!
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

That's to funny! I've actually had a few stop at the door and try and figure out what the noise is. They don't say anything just listen. Then there are those who hear a noise and walk right back out. If I were you I would have told them I was pumping and see what kind of conversation they would have come up with. I also would have died laughing while I was standing there pumping. I hope it didn't bother you. Keep on pumping

For all the pumping horror stories, there have to be funny stories, too.

Mercifully, I have a private office and pump 3 times a day. However, my door does not have a lock, and people in my office have always been notorious for knocking and opening the door at the same time. I found a little "Do Not Disturb" sign and hang it on the door when pumping. I only use the sign when my door is closed while I pump and everyone in the office knows it. My boss is in his late 40s and a fairly starchy, conservative guy. His wife ff both of their children, but despite this, he has been surprisingly supportive of my choice. The other day, he apparently came by my office while I was pumping. A few minutes later, I get an email that started, "When you're done milking..." It just cracked me up that he has become so comfortable with the idea.

Well that's also nice to hear that a male boss is supportive. I have a female boss who only had one child(<-now 25 yrs old) and I guess is not to fond of the idea of me pumping. So we just don't bring it up.

Well if we're telling funny stories...

I was pumping in a work bathroom one time (there was a mother's room on another floor but it was too far away from me for that day). Someone came in, heard the noise, and called out "Amanda?" (NOTE: My name is NOT Amanda!) The funnier thing was, I KNEW Amanda! Apparently when she travelled in from out of town she would use that particular bathroom to express her milk. So I called back out over the stall and told the person no, made some joke about using "Amanda's pumping spot". They left before I could see who it was but I'm sure they were mortified. Didn't bother me in the slightest, but it sure was funny.

Karen Smith
    LLL Leader, IL

Wink Re: Pumping in a Bathroom... funny story

I have a good one, too! Kind of funny and empowering!

I work at a non-profit in community health. And, at my workplace, we have a "Nursing Room" which is a little walk-in closet sized space with a couch, a side table with some magazines, and a really flimsy curtain. The Nursing Room is in the bathroom so, whenever you're in there, people are walking by the curtain, the door to the bathroom is opening and closing, etc. So I got really paranoid about someone walking in on me with my little Avent Isis pumping away...

It was so neurotic since I'm fine with NIP but have all these hang-ups about people seeing me pump.

So, anyway, one day, someone throws back the curtain while I am "expressing" and it's the President of our Board of Directors!!! I look up at her in total shock with my mouth a perfect "O" of surprise. Right away, she pulls the curtain closed and says: "Oh, I remember those days. Well, at least you have a little room. I used to have to pump standing up in one of the bathroom stalls at the hospital where I worked!"

She was so cool about it that it made me totally let go of my pumping hang-ups. So, now I don't spend my time worrying that someone is going to look behind the curtain!

that's so funny!

i have to pump in the back room where we cut posterboards and spraymount and store printing supplies and whatnot. I usually have to wait till noone is using the room.

The other day the only guy in the office (aside from my boss) wiggled on the door knob and then paused and said "um.... hey... are you in there?" and I said "um... yesss..." and he said "are you by yourself?" and I said "yes..." and he said "uh... ok." and left. It was then that I realised he prolly has no idea what I do when I step away for 20 minutes or what me and the other 2 girls are snickering about every now and then. I guess he just sees me dissapear with a laptop-looking bag in the back room and has yet to put it together.

I'm a school counselor in a junior/senior high. My dean of students is a woman, but didn't bf her kids. Several teachers bfed but not for very long. My boss is a super conservative man, but he is the oldest of nine kids with four sisters. So, he is comfortable with the weirdest things.

Anway, I had my door shut and am pumping and I can hear the kids outside the door with my secretary griping about me "never being there" and how my "door is always shut...." Kids and parents here are a bit spoiled and tend to believe that I shoudl always be available to serve them, no matter what. It's not uncommon for me to be eating lunch and have a kid barge in and start asking questions and demanding things. My poor secretary had no clue what to do, so she just kept quiet and let them gripe, pretty soon I see an email pop up and apparently they'd gone to the dean and then the principal. He emailed me to tell me that he told the little "brats" (said with affection that only someone who works non stop with kids can use) that I was "indisposed" since he didn't think he should tell them that I was doing my guernsey impression. This guy is so straight laced that I busted up seeing it in email. He's told parents to back off too, about the same thing.

So great boss story and funny. I now think of that when I'm pumping -- me and the milk cows down the road!

These are great--I am a wildland firefighter and work mostly with men, although my direct supervisor is a woman who bfed for 9 months. I work out in the forest most of the time and sometimes in the office, but I have come up with some really interesting places to pump. I have pumped on a snowmobile 20 miles into the backcountry, in a walmart parking lot in my car, in all kinds of other places in my car and work trucks, in bathrooms, in my cubicle, etc. I am super worried that someone will catch me but it has yet to happen, so lucky me so far! I just think I have come a long way since my mother had me (she didn't nurse b/c she didn't have any help), but back then you nursed in a back room someplace where no one could see you, kind of like pumping is now. Maybe when my dd is pumping she will do it out in the open (or at least not have to find restrooms). Keep on pumping ladies!!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes