Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Growth spurt or need for solid food???

Default Growth spurt or need for solid food???

Okay, here's my dilemma - I had a problem similar to this about two months ago.

My little baby son will be 12 weeks old this coming Tuesday. He is weighing in around 15 lbs. About two months ago, I was having issues with marathon feeding sessions with him. Now the problem isn't so much long feedings but frequent feedings. We're talking every hour for forty five minutes at a stretch. Then he'll fall asleep (very often he falls asleep while nursing) for maybe fifteen or twenty minutes, and when he wakes up, he'll be active and play for five minutes, and then he's screaming for food again.

I know they go through growth spurts around this time. I'm honestly not worried about my milk supply, because even after he finishes nursing, I still have enough to pump. He's having good bowel movements and wetting his diapers.

What I'm worried about is the fact that when he nurses every single hour like this, I can't get anything done. At all. I had to go back to work a few weeks ago, and luckily I can work from home, but when I'm nursing him all day, I can't be working at the computer AND feeding him. If I take twenty minutes for a meal break for myself or even two minutes to run into the kitchen and get a drink of water, he will scream until he is red in the face. My poor husband has been doing all the housework, and I mean ALL. Dishes, laundry, cooking, taking care of the dogs, chicken and fish...

My mother in law keeps telling me I need to start him on solid food. I tried that two months ago, and it was HARD. He screamed until he was red in the face when I tried to give him some very dilute rice cereal. And honestly, I didn't see a bit of difference in his eating schedule on the rice cereal. I'm torn. I don't want to jump into the solid food thing prematurely, but this is a 15-lb twelve week old, and if I can't start getting some work done during the day, my husband and I are going to be in an even worse financial situation than we are in now with me out of work since December!!!

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions with how to deal with this? It's been doing on for over a week.

This morning I came seriously close to losing it, and said to hell with it, packed up my little boy and drove into town to go for a walk around the lake with a friend of mine. I wound up nursing my little boy in her office because he was just screaming his head off again for food!!!

I'd love to hear what anyone has to say! By the end of the day (like right now) I am just so tired, and since I am still recovering from my c-section, some nights every muscle in my abdomen just ACHES from sheer exhaustion. Has anyone else ever dealt with a huge baby with a huge appetite like this?

Default Re: Growth spurt or need for solid food???

Have you talked to your pediatrician about his behavior? There might not be anything wrong but it does not hurt to rule it out. 3 months old is pretty early to be starting solids of any kind. Have you tried a pacifier? Some babies just like to suck more and if your breastfeeding routine is well established giving him one probably will not hurt and it will give you a much needed break. After you feed him does he seem pretty content? I am sorry this is happening to you but im sure it will get better. Maybe others will have more and better advice.

I've no advice, just commiseration

My son was 14 and a bit pounds at 8 weeks, 20.5 lbs at 16 weeks and I remember sitting down to try and eat a hurriedly made sandwich when he was around your baby's age (4 bits of bread, slap peanut butter on two slices, other two slices on top not even cut in half or on a plate...gourmet stuff) and he's SCREAMING and looking for boobs before I even get a bite. It had been about 20 minutes since he last ate.

"Can't I even eat a f***ing sandwich for 2 f***ing minutes without you f***ing well needing fed again?" I believe the conversation went.

Not one of my prouder mothering moments.

This too shall pass. If you can avoid the local mental hospital till it does, so much the better.

I didn't start solids until he was 5.5 months (24 weeks..kinda 6 months) and he wasn't really very interested even then. I wish I had a magic cure but I know cereal isn't it from all I've read. It's basically just feeding him a bulking agent and is as likely to result in a miserable gassy baby who will give you no more peace than a hungry one.
    Last edited by Beanie; April 3rd, 2008 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mj4330 View Post
    Have you tried a pacifier? Some babies just like to suck more and if your breastfeeding routine is well established giving him one probably will not hurt and it will give you a much needed break.
    sounds like it!
    And did I read it correctly you tried solids at 1 month!?!?!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Imo I think its a growth spurt and would not give solids this early. I know how hard it is to be attached to a lo who is going through a growth spurt. That is the main reason I got a ring sling when hunter was around that age. It was a life saver I could nurse him in it and do house work while he slept. I still use it daily and even take it to the supermarket with us. It will get better
    nak

Formerly known as Huntersmomma
    Momma to 3 yr old Hunter proudly breast fed until 2 & 1/2
    Expecting baby #2, Due in Jan 2011

heres some more info on starting solids....
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html

sounds like a high needs baby...
    more info about that;
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp

check thoose out and ask away!

If you aren't against it...you might want to try a paci. My child needed to suck like that but would then barf from all the milk The paci helped us until he could figure out how to suck his fingers!
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I've tried pacifiers. They don't work. He can't figure out how to suck on them and spits them out and just gets angry. Hehehe... I guess that's kind of a good thing, right?

And yes, we did try solids around 5 weeks when he was doing the same sort of thing and it was driving me insane. Although back then, he wasn't as big. The pediatrician told me I could try it to see if it helps to fill up his belly.

I'm going down to a baby shower a week from today, and I think I'm just going to take him with me. It's a three hour ride, so with any luck, he'll sleep all the way down and back, and I can just let him tank up while I'm at the shower, and then he can tank up again when I get back home. I'm going with a friend who has a 14 month old, and she totally gets the breastfeeding thing.

Quote Originally Posted by vanbeads View Post
    My little baby son will be 12 weeks old this coming Tuesday. He is weighing in around 15 lbs. About two months ago, I was having issues with marathon feeding sessions with him. Now the problem isn't so much long feedings but frequent feedings. We're talking every hour for forty five minutes at a stretch. Then he'll fall asleep (very often he falls asleep while nursing) for maybe fifteen or twenty minutes, and when he wakes up, he'll be active and play for five minutes, and then he's screaming for food again...What I'm worried about is the fact that when he nurses every single hour like this, I can't get anything done.
    It could be a growth spurt. Sometimes, the increased demand can last up to about a week.

During a growth spurt, breastfed babies nurse more often than usual (sometimes as often as every hour) and often act fussier than usual.

The increase in baby's milk intake during growth spurts is temporary. In exclusively breastfed babies, milk intake increases quickly during the first few weeks of life, then stays about the same between one and six months. As solids are gradually introduced after six months, baby's milk intake will gradually decrease.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html
    This page offers some tips for coping with frequent nursing:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/frequent-nursing.html

Here is some information on breastfeeding and fast gaining babies:
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/L...gSep06p54.html

A few questions:
    Do you feel like you have a lot of milk? Does your baby gulp and sometimes choke at the breast?

In a perfect world, what would you like to see happen?

Quote Originally Posted by vanbeads View Post
    My mother in law keeps telling me I need to start him on solid food. I tried that two months ago, and it was HARD. He screamed until he was red in the face when I tried to give him some very dilute rice cereal.

It's worth mentioning that introducing solids early can sometimes cause more problems than it solves. Here is some information you might find helpful:

The idea that solids will help your baby sleep is an old wives' tale that has been disproven by medical studies.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ids-sleep.html
    Health experts and breastfeeding experts agree that it's best to wait until your baby is around six months old before offering solid foods. http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html
    More:
    Is my baby ready for solid foods?
    When should my baby start solids?
    Starting Solid Foods
    Solids? Wait a bit...

I included the above info only for the sake of offering information. Take what you like, and leave the rest!

My baby was 15 lbs as well at 3 months- you are doing a wonderful job with nursing your LO first of all!!!! Congrats on that.

Have you looked into doing any kind of babywearing? My baby was the same way and I felt like my whole house was going to shambles because it seemed like all he wanted to do was nurse and be held? I seriously would have lost my mind if I didn't start getting into babywearing.

I would use my carriers and he would nurse, comfort nurse, and nap while I was doing housework and playing on the computer. There's a whole section on babywearing here on LLL forums you might want to check out.

Hang in there- these times will pass and you should try and enjoy your little baby that is attached to momma.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09