Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Trying to wean from breastmilk to whole milk.

Default Re: Help! Trying to wean from breastmilk to whole milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    You can try to transition her to taking some water or something while youre gone - but how long will it be you'll be leaving her with someone?
    This is what we have done. While I am at work Caitlyn gets water in her sippy cup. Once I get home she nurses as often and as much as she wants. She nurses as soon as I walk in the door
    Of course I am usually home between 4 -5 hours after Caitlyn wakes up in the morning (I work 6am-2pm). My schedule changes next month and I will be working 8am- 6pm, so we will have to see what happens then. I am hoping to stay away from cows milk as long as possible even though Caitlyn will be 1 this month.
    Carol
    Proud mom to,
    Cassi 5/17/85
    Carlie 3/16/96

The Twinzillas
    Camryn 8/17/06
    Carson 8/17/06
    & their Shadow
    Caitlyn 4/22/07

I say go out and have a good time with your husband. Let your mom feed her solids and if she prefers any that have a lot of water in them (like watermelon), maybe give her some of that to make sure she is hydrated.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

does she eat cheese?
    you can count that along with the yougart for milk products!
    IT sounds like your doing ok!

Try not to stress about it! Go out and have a good time! It took my son a few times before he liked cows milk. He now takes it in small quantities while I am at work or some water. Can your mom offer her some solid foods?
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

Quote Originally Posted by NolaMomma View Post
    I say go out and have a good time with your husband. Let your mom feed her solids and if she prefers any that have a lot of water in them (like watermelon), maybe give her some of that to make sure she is hydrated.
    This is what I do. When I'm not around (like all day at day care) she just eats solids and drinks water (sometimes juice). She has started to drink a little more cows milk, but I don't push it. They offer it at day care and she will drink it there, but she won't usually take it when I'm around because she knows I've got the 'good stuff'
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

So...she doesn't HAVE to have milk with every meal??? I have given her cheese before but not in a while. I usually buy everything organic for her so it can get a bit expensive on just one salary. I became a SAHM when I had her. She does drink water but rarely becuase the pediatrician always told me she gets enough hydration from my BM so I don't need to give her water. Anyway, I just thought that I always had to give her milk with every meal so that she can get all her nutrients in. She doesn't snack much between meals, only a handful of cheerios or yogurt. I don't know if I may be feeding her too much at her mealtime. I've been giving her the 6oz jars of Earth's Best baby food stage 3 & for dessert about 3 tablespoons or half of a fruit babyfood jar but I don't usually give her the dessert everyday. Sometimes she'll drink a few oz of juice (only 4oz per day) then I follow with BM. Is that too much?

Check out the toddler nutrition & extended nursing links I gave previously and let me know if that helps you with those questions.

And on an aside, you don't really want her to have dairy (cow/goat) at every meal, especially if theres a part of the meal that is high in iron as the dairy inhibits proper iron absorbtion

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks for all your help! I gotta give my little one some attention! I really appreciate the suggestions I recieved from everyone. It's the most help I recieved so far. I've tried cafemom & mammasource too! Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenivy View Post
    Thanks for all your help! I gotta give my little one some attention! I really appreciate the suggestions I recieved from everyone. It's the most help I recieved so far. I've tried cafemom & mammasource too! Thanks again!
    okey dokey - let us know if we can help in any other way/s
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I'm sure many people will probably disagree with what I ended up doing, but for what it's worth...

I started giving whole milk at a year and my DS wasn't having it - I was still nursing 1-2 times a day, but started going to 1 time a day at a year. My son is just a sucker for sweet stuff - loves the YoBaby yogurt (lots of folks here don't like the amount of sugar in it), sweet breastmilk, fruit, etc. So I added a TINY bit of chocolate syrup into the milk. Voila! Instant milk-drinker. It didn't take much - just enough to add a bit of sweetness to the milk. Now that he's used to it, I stopped adding chocolate, and he's doing fine.

I am intellectually opposed to doing sweets, but I suspect that he was just so used to sweet breastmilk, that the swap to whole cow's milk was a little too abrupt. This worked for us!