Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Trying to wean from breastmilk to whole milk.

Default Help! Trying to wean from breastmilk to whole milk.

I'm a first time mom & having a bit of trouble weaning my baby to whoel milk. My daughter recently turned 1 years old & I started the process of weaning her. I've only eliminated 1 breastfeeding so far since I just started. However, I know I have to give her whole milk in place of the breastmilk but she seems not to like it. She's drank from juice sippy cups & cups with straws before but when I put whole milk in either, she'll only take one sip & once she tastes it she refuses any more. What can I do? I'm worried that she won't drink milk which is so essential to her. Any suggestions? Please help!!!

Default Re: Help! Trying to wean from breastmilk to whole milk.

Making the transition from breastmilk to whole milk can be challening. If you'r not oopsed to continuing the nursing relationship - it would be in her best interest to continue. She doesn't need the cow's milk if you continue to breastfeed. Extended nursing has many many benefits. See links below for more info

Extended Breastfeeding

Cow's milk/toddler nutrition
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

how often is toddler nursing?
    As long as she is nursing 3-4 times in 24 hours she needs no other milk
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk

Cow's milk is not essential for her, although I hear it does wonders for baby cows. If you want her to have dairy, there are lots of other sources (cheese, yogurt, etc.). Water is a great beverage for little ones. Don't place this unnecessary pressure on yourself!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I know it's healthy for me to continue to breastfeed but I would like to start the weaning process because I'm having problems with my milk supply. I've tried feeding more often & taking special teas to help but it hasn't helped much. In order for me to pump she must be feeding from the opposite side, otherwise I get no milk coming out. I can only get a total of 4 oz. pumped out per day. She breastfeeds from one side after her meals 3 times a day & has one additional feeding of only breast milk at night. I just want to start the transition already because its becoming harder for me. Especially if I need to have her babysat because I have no breastmilk that I can leave in a bottle for her. The 4 oz I pump per day I use for her morning cereal.

So, please give me suggestions on what to do so get her to take cows milk. Thanks!

We're here to help you

From what it sounds like though, the amount of breastmilk she is getting (if I'm reading that right at least 3 nursing sessions and 1 bottle of 4 oz thats not all in the cereal is it?) she doesn't need the cows milk. You can try to transition her to taking some water or something while youre gone - but how long will it be you'll be leaving her with someone?

If she doesn't like the cows milk, theres not much you can do to force it on her ... have you tried soy or other types of milk? Have you tried it warmed?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

you could use juice for her cereal... or give dry cereal like o's..
    My kids love dry cereal that they can self feed.

Well there's no magic trick that I know of and you know her better than we do, I'd just keep offering it. My dd didn't want it initially, but eventually took to it. I think it takes several times of being exposed to something before they decide whether or not they actually like it, just like certain foods.

Maybe try watering it down at first, so the flavor isn't as strong. Maybe you could mix it with some bm? Unfortunately you risk wasting your precious bm.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    you could use juice for her cereal... or give dry cereal like o's..
    My kids love dry cereal that they can self feed.

Since my little guy is allergic to milk, we use 1/2 c cheerios, 2-3 oz blueberry apple sauce and a large dollop of soy yogurt for his morning cereal

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

I normally use the 4 oz that I pump entirely for her morning cereal but today I used half of it & used whole milk for the other half. She ate it without any hesitations. I thought of soy milk but the year before I got pregnant with her, I found out that I was allergic to soy milk so I'm afraid that she may possibly be allergic to it as well. I don't want to risk it. I think I forgot to mention, she has no problem eating Yo Baby organic whole milk yogurt, she loves it. I tried giving her the milk mixed with BM & that didn't work either.

I've only left her with my mom babysitting recently for about 6 hours because my husband was in surgery but my mom had to bring her to the hospital so I can feed her in the car then take her back. My husband & I are planning on celebrating our anniversary this weekend & we were planning on dinner & a movie which may be long so that's why I'm so concerned about what to do. After her meals she nurses for about 5 -8 minutes on one side & then pulls away to go play. She only nurses a full 20 minutes (10 on each) at night before going to bed.