Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DS weaning how do I change to milk?

Default DS weaning how do I change to milk?

I have tried to get DS to continue nursing but it is a loosing battle. DS is now 11mo and has already weaned from his daytime feedings and the past 4 nights his nightime one. He hasn't given up his morning one yet. My concern is he is not a good drinking to start with and has never been good with a bottle. I am worried he will not be getting enough to drink. I have no idea how much he should get and how often I should offer it and how do you do the nighttime bottle or cup or whatever? I offer him milk at all meals and snacks and have water available all day. I figure he gets around 15 or so oz of milk or formula plus a few onces of water.

Also for now I am pumping the little I get midday and offering it alone first and then add it to a bottle of whole milk or formula. I started him on whole milk a week ago just a oz or 2 a day. I am worried he will get to much at one time and have tummy problems. So for now I will also pump the nighttime and offer it in the morning. I will keep offering it to him and if he continues to refuse to nurse then I conceed to that.

Thanks...

Default Re: DS weaning how do I change to milk?

I am sorry to hear your son has decided to self wean but a nurse once told me that babies are the true indicators of when to stop breastfeeding. I think at 11 mo. you should try a sippy cup. I think bottles lead to tooth decay and should be avoided especially at night. Feed him before you put him down. Do not mix breast milk with any other milk, just offer two separate servings at the same time. Offer him your breast milk and supplement with the cow's milk or formula and notice how much he drinks. Best wishes...

Are you sure that your baby hasn't taken a "nursing strike"?

Here are some articles that may be of interest to you:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/strike.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/unexpected.html

I do not feel it is a nursing strike since it has been going on for the past few months. It seemed that once he started crawling and creeping he lost interest. He can't stop long enough. I used to nurse him 4 times a day and offer extra or water at meals. He first refused all nap feeds so I gave up and offered just the sippy or bottle. Then a week ago he completely refused the nighttime feed. Now today he did nurse some before bedtime which was good. So I will keep offering.

What is wrong with mixing milk and formula? I ask because it is so hard to get him to take a bottle or cup that once he starts If I stop and change feeding tools he will quit. I tried it.

I do brush his teeth twice a day. Now that we haven't nursed the past few nights I give him the bottle while I am lotioning him and getting him ready for bath and then we do the teeth brushing. He doesn't wake up at night to eat and I do not leave him a bottle. He refused a bottle until about a month ago and right now I want him to drink so I offer the cup all day and if he only takes a bit I offer the bottle. He never has taken more then 4-5 oz at a time and still that is all he will drink.

Thanks