Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not getting enough!

Default Not getting enough!

Hi everyone,

I'm writing this post bc I'm concerned that my son isn't getting enough. Yesterday he went 5 hours, during the day, without a wet diaper! In a way, I think this is my fault because he wont eat unless we're together -suddenly bottles aren't fun anymore. Yesterday we were away from each other quite a bit. Normally he has about 5 fully saturated disposable diapers -he wears a size bigger than he should bc of his big bms. He's happy, very enegetic so I haven't worried too much about how much he's peeing - although he's never gone so long before without. As for bms he goes about once or twice every couple of days -it keeps decreasing -it was once every other day. Now its every couple of days or even three days, although when he does go it def. isn't a little. I know it's normal for bfed babies to go up to a week w/out bms but is this infrequency normal too?

Another thing that concerns me is his eating habits. He wont eat unless it's from me -this is a new development since for 5 months he had no issues with a bottle. And he wont eat in public which he used to do just fine, he's very distractable, even to the point that it feels like he'll go hungry. This isn't too much of a big problem, since we don't go out for extended periods of time, but nonetheless it concerns me. I would get a nursing necklace but when I wear any necklace he bcms more interested in it than nursing

Tips, ideas, am I starving him?!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Default Re: Not getting enough!

As they get older their bladder 'regulation' can indeed change. Some moms find that occuring during the night, sometimes it is during the day. continue to be mindful of his wet diapers, and as long as he has what he should in a 24 hour period, a small block w/o shouldn't be any cause for concern. And I'll venture to say you're not starving him.

THeir nursing patterns also do change, so, you don't work right? Just offer him the breast as often as you're home and continue to offer when you're out - if he's hungry enough, he'll take it

Of course, if you're really worried you can always call his pedi...
    ;hug
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Default Re: Not getting enough!

I do work, only 3 hours a day during the week though. My concern is mostly that he get enough even when I'm not with him. I'm sure that he can do fine while I'm at work bc he only goes nearly 4 hours without eating. But I know that if I was with him he would have nursed too bc when I get off work I'm a little engorged since I missed a feeding. The only problem isn't my work though bc a couple of days a week I also have to go to class, and then once a week I go do laundry. So out of three days a week he's missing one or two feedings on those days. This particular time, it was bc I was doing laundry -but even if I took him w/me, he wont eat in public My mil/or whoever is watching him will give him either bananas or oatmeal w/bm but I don't know if that's enough..and plus I'm not supposed to substitute solids for a nursing session right?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!