Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: scratching while nursing

Default scratching while nursing

My DS is 8 months old (teething currently and working on crawling) our nights have been a bit rough. But the biggest thing that is driving me crazy is that he nurses agressivly and scratches me.
    Not all of the time, but some of the time (like when he is teething bad) he nurses more and seems to use his teeth a bit? because my nipples feel sore and painful all of the time. I continue to use lanolin but something just the idea of nursing makes me cringe. Also he has taken to scratching me. He used to just rub his hands on my neck and arms, sometimes reaching for my face. But now he is scratching behind my arms, my chest it is awful. It is when he is really struggling to fall asleep, and I feel bad for him cause he seems full of consternation, but OW! Sometimes when trying to sleep he also scratches his own ear and head. I don't think it is really itchy or an infection because he has done it to some extent on his own ears since he was born and they are fine. It seems more like a nervous tick or soothing thing, except it seems to keep him up!
    Thoughts? This momma needs some help cause she is hurt!

Default Re: scratching while nursing

Put a nursing tank on to protect your skin and expose as little of yourself as possible until the aggression cools down. Check out a photo on this thread, I was having a similar issue.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

My 10 month old does the same thing. It started around 3months ago. She scratches behind my arms mostly when I am holding her trying to put her to sleep. She is very tactile (loves touching and rubbing things) and I think this is comforting to her. I keep her nails short and wear long sleeve shirts when it gets too bad!

My 7 month old tries to take his ear off while he's nursing. Seriously, it's like his arm has a motor and just keeps rubbing it back and forth over his ear. He's even made it bleed! He'll scratch sometimes, too, but not me-- the couch behind my back! I have to move when he starts doing that b/c I'm afraid those little claws will scratch the leather
    Sorry no advice, but you're not alone! Crazy babies
    Erin, Mommy to Alex & Derek

Working Breasts: Please do not pet

Thanks for the replies, glad I am not alone! edwina scissorhands... haha
    He totally does the rub his ear off thing to! I used to try and hold his hands so he would leave his poor ear alone, he scratched it all up inside!
    I wear a nursing tank (which he thinks it is great fun to pull on and snap....

Maybe I will try a full shirt tonight. Ug!

My daughter is turning nine at the end of the month and she was a scratcher. My arms, legs and neck. I kept her nails super short and got used to it. We were reminising the other day ad she asked me if her 1 year old sister did it too and I said no, just you! She said, well it just felt so good to my fingers. Try and grin and bear it. I look back now and what I wouldn't do to feel those little baby fingers digging in. It is comforting to them and my daughter did it in one form or another until she started first grade. Whenever she stood next to me she would unconsiously scratch my legs. It's relaxing and reassuring I guess!