Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weight gain ?

Wink weight gain ?

Hi I am new here. I have an almost 7 ms old baby girl. I am nursing her but sometimes have given formula in a bottle to supplement as She is so small. She is 13 lbs and 11 oz and was 7 lbs 6 oz at birth. Her Dr told me maybe my milk isn't very good as she is not gaining well.

I don't want to keep supplementing with formula unless I have to as I would like to just nurse.

I started Her at 6 ms on rice cereal and friuts but She has trouble with the spoon and won't open Her mouth unless I trick Her.

Thx for your help

Default Re: weight gain ?

There is nothing wrong with your milk. Unless you are severely malnourished, your milk is just as wonderful as every other mother's in the world. How often is she nursing? How many wet diapers does she make? Here are some links that may help you:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...e-milkfat.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html

For solids, you should be aware than cereal and fruits have very few calories and almost no fat: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...dcalories.html At her age, the only solid that might help her gain weight is avacado, but even that should not be replacing breastmilk at this point.

Hope this helps!

I'm sorry you are having trouble/concerns with your baby's weight gain. That can be so frustrating. There is no such thing as not very good breastmilk. If there is a problem with weight gain it is not due to poor quality milk. It could be that your baby is just petite. Remember that the growth curves are often based on formula fed babies, which tend to be heavier. Also, not everyone can be average size--by definition some of us have to be small but are still very healthy. Has her growth been consistent over time but just slow? What about height and head circumference? What is her diaper output like? Does she act happy/content or does she seem fussy/hungry? Is she meeting developmental milestones? These are all factors to consider in addition to just looking at weight gain. If it does seem that she is not getting enough calories, it could be due to not getting enough milk (i.e. low supply), but not to poor quality milk. What are her nursing patterns like? If low supply seems to be an issue, there are many things you can try to boost it rather than using formula. Let us know a little more about your situation, and maybe we can help you figure out if there is an issue and what you might want to do about it.

Thx for your help. She nurses every 3 hrs on demand. She gas atlest 5 wet diapers a day. I will have to try the avacodo. How do I fix it for Her?

thx for your help. She has always been a slow gainer. She is well porportioned for her weight. She seems very happy and content. She is meeting all her milestones on time or early. She eats every 3 hrs. She seems to have a weak suck so I hold the breast or it falls out of her mouth. When i pump i never get much.

luvmybaby-That is hilarious. Your md has not other "explanation" for your babies slow weight gain and decides it has to be your bm!!! Do not listen to him. If it makes you feel any better, I am in the same boat as you. My ds was born at 7 lb 7 oz. He is 6.5 mo old and weighs in at a whole 12 lb and ?oz. I quit supplementing for 3 reasons. 1)It was only hurting my milk supply 2)It was not helping ds gain any extra weight 3)it IS "bad" for him and he usually did not drink it all or like the taste. I have not supplemented him since he was about 3 or 3.5 mo old. His length and head circumference have a good growth curve. My pedi told me to quit worrying about it.
    She finally agreed that this was just going to be him-a small baby. He eats every 3-4 hours when I am away from him. WHen we are together I nurse him every time he even acts interested: to sleep, for a small snack, before his solids even after his solids. Sometimes it is every hour sometimes it is every 3 hours. Whatever he wants!!!! He is the boss right now.
    As far as the avacado. DS LOVES it by the way, I give it to him to help with his weight. You can either mash it up, try to let him self feed himself or mix it in with cereal. I do all three (although it is alittle slippery for ds' small fingers so I will help him.)
    DS gained weight really well until about 2.5 mo old. By the time he was 2 months he weighed 10 lb 2 oz. His weight declined 2 weeks later b/c he developed milk allergies-the pedi is assuming. I think he has a bug. He was pooping large masses 2-4 times a day and his weight dropped to 9 lb 5 oz. By 4 months he was back up to 10 lb 12 oz, the pedi dx him with failure to thrive. Now at 6 mo he is meeting all milestones early or on time, just cannot gain the weight we would all like to see.
    Don't worry-as long as your ds is doing all like the pp said-you are doing fine. Keep up the good work and hard effort. It will all pay off in the end. Remember, you lo can sense your stress and worries and it will also start to effect your supply.
    Keep it up!

My experience...dd was born at 6lb 15oz...2 weeks was 6lb 12oz...2 months 8lb 11oz....4 month 9lb 15oz...Head and Height growing great, reaching all her milestones either before or right on target. Doctor wanted me to bring her in around 2-3 weeks after 4 month appointment, but I wasn't really concerned since she was reaching milestones and output is good, so that deadline passed 1-2 weeks ago. She will be 5 months on Thursday, and I plan to bring her in just to check and see how the weight is doing. I have started her on avocado a bit early, and she's doing GREAT with it! She gets soo excited when she sees me getting it ready! Hopefully it has helped, though I've only started it this week, so may not have had time to do much. I'd try not to worry...as long as other growth is well, output is good and milestones are being reached, your little one is probably just fine...HTH
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

I agree with PP's about avocado being a good choice for solids (higher and calories than cereal and packed full of good nutrition). It sounds like your baby is content and developing well, which would lead me to believe that she is just small. To rule out any other possibilities, though, you mentioned you felt she had a weak suck--what leads you to this suspicion? Are you large breasted?--babies can have trouble holding on to the nipple without some support if breasts are very large. When she nurses, do see/hear active sucking and swallowing? What is her reaction if you offer to nurse sooner than the usual three hours when she shows and interest? If she refuses nursing more often then she's probably not hungry.

My now 14 month old is just now 19 pounds and some change. We have had slow growth issues since the beginning. My best advice, is to put down the formula and trust your baby and your body. I became so upset after each doctor's appointment. He was meeting all his milestones but still too small for the "charts". There is also a great article on www.drjaygordon.com called "look at the baby, not the charts" I think that it will give you some reassurance that you are on the right track. You sound like a wonderful mum, that defiantly wants the best for her daughter. All the best!

thx for your help. I quit supplemementing too as it hurts my supply. I am glad I am not the only one with a tiny baby. WIC has also been on me about her weight. She has 6 or more wet diapers and is a very happy baby so I think she is doing fine.