Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Infant Tooth Care

Default Infant Tooth Care

Was checking out the local pediatric dentist's website and was shocked to see:

Preventing Dental Decay
    DO NOT permit your child to nurse passively on the breast or bottle while sleeping. DO NOT put your child to bed with a bottle containing juice, soda, tea, formula, etc. If a bottle must be continued, fill it only with water. Your child should be weaned, and solid foods introduced into his diet, soon after the first birthday. This is a critical time in teaching your child to eat healthful foods.

And this:

Child should be off the bottle or breast by first birthday, unless pediatrician feels otherwise.

Obviously I won't be using this dentist as I plan on nursing DD until she decides to wean AND she nurses to sleep. Granted, I'm definitely going to start brushing her teeth after dinner, but I've read that breastmilk doesn't hurt teeth. Am I wrong?
    Sarah ~~ Wife to Shawn, Mother to Rebekkah Jane born 5/27/07

Default Re: Infant Tooth Care

Hi,
    I bf my daughter night and day until the age of 2.5, and she did devolp a cavity at about 18 months - she is now 5. However, the cavity was filled at the age of 4, and she has had no problems since - the benefits far outweigh the problem of small cavities - my daughter was hardly ever ill until I weaned her! Don't worry!

Hello! This is a worrisome and frequently-raised topic. If you search the forums for "caries" you'll find several threads with information and stories about breastfeeding and cavities.

Here's an article from LEAVEN, LLL's magazine for Leaders:
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/L...yJun06p27.html

And then I found this gem -- on the American Dental Association's website!
    http://www.ada.org/prof/resources/to...astfeeding.asp

Mary

My daughter is 3, has nursed to sleep and passively during the night (sometimes more than othertimes) her entire life.
    No cavities.
    My dentist said 'the sugars in breastmilk are NOT the sugars that cause cavities'

Good luck in your search for a supportive dentist!