Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sore nipples now?

Default Sore nipples now?

I'm confused on why my nipples are so sore when my daughter nurses - she's 15mo. When she first latches on, it's quite painful (about a 7 out of 10) and the pain stays like that for a few minutes and then goes down to about a 3 out of 10. I did take a pregnancy test and it came back negative, as I suspected. Anyone have any thoughts?
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Default Re: Sore nipples now?

My nipples hurt when I was ovulating for the first time last month - DD was 13.5 months. Not sure if it has something to do with your cycle, but that could be a possibility.

could be to early for the test..
    any antibotics?
    cracked nips?

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    could be to early for the test..
    any antibotics?
    cracked nips?
    No antibiotics or cracked nipples.

Just really weird because all of a sudden it started to hurt and it's so uncomfortable that I don't want to nurse her, although I do every time she asks if it's been a bit in between.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

hmmm. Not pregnant you say?
    Is your latch getting sloppy? Is she traveling on the nipple at all? What positions are you using? Any lumps or tenderness in the breast? What do your nipples look like, any white or paleness on the tips? Any red streaks or redness on the skin of the breast? Fever?

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    hmmm. Not pregnant you say?
    Is your latch getting sloppy? Is she traveling on the nipple at all? What positions are you using? Any lumps or tenderness in the breast? What do your nipples look like, any white or paleness on the tips? Any red streaks or redness on the skin of the breast? Fever?
    Well, I am pretty sure I'm not pregnant, but I will take another test in a few days if this doesn't go away. Her latch is normal and we do cradle position and side lying position which is what we've done all along. My breasts are a little tender, especially towards my nipples. My nipples look normal - no white or paleness, but they are just so sore, even just when they touch my shirt or like last night when I pulled a sheet up in bed and it touched them. No red streaks and no fever.

Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

I had something similar, though with some cracking, shortly after I had my first period. DD was 11 months old, and nothing else had changed. I hadn't had sore nipples since she was really little. I'm guessing it was just hormonal changes. Maybe that could be it if your cycle started up again recently.
    Julie
    Wife to Jeff
    Mom to Alexa, born 4/22/07

Quote Originally Posted by Lexa's Mom View Post
    I had something similar, though with some cracking, shortly after I had my first period. DD was 11 months old, and nothing else had changed. I hadn't had sore nipples since she was really little. I'm guessing it was just hormonal changes. Maybe that could be it if your cycle started up again recently.
    I'm hoping it's just a hormone thing that will go away quickly! And I wish my cycle started up recently, but it's been fairly consistant for the last year.

I'm also wondering if my supply is a little lower because I've felt that over the past few days it's down and tonight I left for a few hours and my sister put my daughter to bed and she actually drank a few ounces of ebm from a bottle (which she hasn't done the last few times my sister put her to bed, she would bat the bottle away and just want to be rocked to sleep).
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

My nipples are exactly the same as what you describe and I am pregnant.

Is she teething? I know that DS will change his latch sometimes when he's teething and it kills my nipples. Hope you find out the problem soon

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

three things that came to mind is she teehting, using a pacifier or bottle? We use a pacifier and had to almost take it away because she got a tight clamp when nursing. I notice the more we used it the more sore I became. The teeth were another big thing for us too!
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work