Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help with a Pincher

Default Help with a Pincher

Hey all,

We've been doing rather well with our BF-ing since the last time I posted here. Now, at three months, we've got a new challenge that I could really use some advice on.

Recently, DS has been pinching the tip of my nipple between his lips towards the end of a nursing session. At first, I thought it was just because he was starting to get sleepy and was slipping on his latch. Now he's doing it when he's wide awake. I've been taking him away from the breast each time he does this, which gets me whining cries of protest, as if he's still hungry. So I give him the other breast, as the one he was on is in excruciating pain from the pinching it just received. He nurses a little, and then about ten minutes later, "OUCH!" pinched again!!

I know my breasts are his source of comfort and nourishment, but they're still a part of my body and I'm no masochist.

Any suggestions? I won't let him continue with this, as I know it's going to ruin our nursing relationship, and I'm concerned that it may escalate when he starts to teethe.

TIA!!!
    Some say he blows out his diapers just so he can stay naked longer... and that if you take him to IKEA, he will try to chat up the brightly colored sample rooms on display in the store. All we know is, he's called THE LANCE.
    Born 12/28/07 6lbs, 12oz 20" long
    @ 20wks: 16.5 lbs, 27" long

I to my little man! (It's the only way I can get things done!)

Default Re: Help with a Pincher

Get a nursing necklace! Sooner rather than later! I got stress induced psoriasis from my son twiddling and by the time I got a necklace, he had worked the pinching into his sleep routine and retraining him to grab the necklace instead of my breast was a HUGE PITA!
    PM me if you want me to forward you the info on the place I got mine!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    Get a nursing necklace! Sooner rather than later! I got stress induced psoriasis from my son twiddling and by the time I got a necklace, he had worked the pinching into his sleep routine and retraining him to grab the necklace instead of my breast was a HUGE PITA!
    PM me if you want me to forward you the info on the place I got mine!
    Ooops! I guess I should have been more clear!

My LO pinches me with his mouth, not his hands.
    Some say he blows out his diapers just so he can stay naked longer... and that if you take him to IKEA, he will try to chat up the brightly colored sample rooms on display in the store. All we know is, he's called THE LANCE.

I would love information on where you got your necklace. I have a pincher, too, but she pinches with her hands on the top of my boob...

Quote Originally Posted by Terracide View Post
    Ooops! I guess I should have been more clear!

My LO pinches me with his mouth, not his hands.
    OM I am so sorry he is pinching you my lo use to pinch me too well I think biting me .... what I did is say "NO" wait few seconds and then put her back at the breast, then If she did it again I will had press her agains my breast until it gets unconfortable for her (believe that happens soon) so that she will associate pinching me with getting unconfortable... thanks God that fixed the problem....

Quote Originally Posted by mum2girlz View Post
    I would love information on where you got your necklace. I have a pincher, too, but she pinches with her hands on the top of my boob...
    PM ME! I'll send it !

Way too lazy for formula

my lo was pinching right before releasing. It got so bad they were worried about scar tissue under my breast. I found that if I watch and see a sign that she is about to try it, I break the seal on the latch before she gets a chance. After doing this enough times she pretty much stopped.

When my little guy does that I pull him in close and say ah ah ah in a firm but not scary voice. he seems to be getting over it. If he bites me again, I break the suction to give us a break then try again in a few minutes.

Thanks for the input.

I'm also beginning to suspect he is also teething, even though he's only 3.5 months. Just this afternoon, I reached into his mouth and felt the slightest of sharp spots on his lower gum, about the size of a grain of sand. One of his cousins had two teeth at four months, so maybe this runs in the family?