Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning, working, pumping oh my.

Default Weaning, working, pumping oh my.

I'm posting this here because I think its more of a working/pumping thing than a weaning thing.

My daughter will be one next week. We had a slow start on solids, but once she was ready to feed herself, it really took off. While we ramped up, she still drank the same 15 or so ounces of EBM she did before. I think maintaining the intake at daycare may be part comfort, part trying to make up for being sick a bunch in Jan/Feb and not gaining/losing some weight.

Right now she is eating "people" food every meal. Tons of veggies (brocoli, green beans, sweet potatoes are her favorites), protien and some kind of bread. She gets either as much as she will eat, or I cut her off at an hour (because usually by that point she's just feeding the dog)

However, I need to stop pumping at work. I'm wearing out my welcome when it comes to how much time I have to be away to pump, and to be completely honest, I'm kinda getting sick of it.

She has started getting the hang of a sippy, and they're giving her one with lunch, and she gets one with/after dinner. She drinks an ounce maybe two of water. She also nurses once first thing in the morning, and a couple-3 times at night.

And now, the point. How do I transition her off of the EBM at daycare. Can I give less, cut out one bottle all together and just have them do a sippy of water? Give her a sippy of cows milk? (I'm not a huge fan, but we did plan on doing a little) Two meals, both followed by a 5 oz bottle that she usually drains, plus another 5 oz bottle for a snack, there has to be a better way. And how much fluids does she really even need?

Default Re: Weaning, working, pumping oh my.

Quote Originally Posted by greenveggie View Post

And now, the point. How do I transition her off of the EBM at daycare. Can I give less, cut out one bottle all together and just have them do a sippy of water? Give her a sippy of cows milk? (I'm not a huge fan, but we did plan on doing a little) Two meals, both followed by a 5 oz bottle that she usually drains, plus another 5 oz bottle for a snack, there has to be a better way. And how much fluids does she really even need?

Ahh...pumping does get quite tiresome. I can understand you feeling like it's time to stop the pumping. You've done so great. From the posts that I've read it sounds like you're getting her transition figured out pretty good. She takes a sippy! So you know she is able to consume liquids. Your baby is one now so if cow's milk works for you guys now I think that's fine. I think most of the posts here recommend looking at hormones, etc in the milk. IMO if she's not allergic to dairy then you can start substituting your ebm with cow milk. As far as transitioning from bm to cows, I don't really know but I've read you shouldn't mix bm & cow, mostly because if she doesn't drink it all you don't want to waste the bm. Maybe try giving her some cow milk before you stop pumping to make sure she'll take it. You need to do what's best for you and your family. If pumping just doesn't work anymore than you need to work around that. Don't stop pumping "cold turkey" as it can lead to health problems for you. It's recommended to slowly space out your pumping sessions until you can eliminate one at a time and be comfortable. It sounds like she's eating good so you're not worried about her nutritional intake. Give it a go and see how it works out for you. If you have more questions just post them
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

Like the pp said decrease the pumping at work gradually. I was pumping three times a day and usually got less at the last pump of the day so I did away with that first, then the a.m. then my lunch pump. The daycare worked with me to help the transition be easier for DS. I had them give a sippy cup first then if he was upset or needed more he got a bottle. You can decide if you want BM or cow's milk or water in the sippy. We did this around the time he turned 1 and continued to nurse when at home until he was 19 months.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

My DD is just now 13 months and we're working through the same thing... I'm down to just one pumping session at work - at lunch - and I think I'll be able to drop this one since I'm getting less during that session now (been doing that for about 2 or 3 weeks now).

Anywho - DD has done really well - I just started sending less and less bm with her (instead of 2 or 3 feedings, I've only been sending what I pumped - about 1 feeding - with the plan to eventually send nothing). With her meals, dc gives water or juice - and every now and then cows milk - and you can definitely specify if you don't want them to give juice or cm.

And, from what I've read, if your lo is nursing 3 or 4 times a day, that's enough that you probably don't even have to give cows milk if you don't want...

Congrats on 1 YR!
    Kerry - first time mom to Isabella Grace 3/2/07

Still nursing at 16 months, working, and trying to balance my life!

I hadn't thought about having them try cows milk first and then if that didn't work, give her a bottle. She doesn't drink a lot from the sippy, so I've worried about waste, since it has to be full for her to tip it right. And while organic hormone free milk is expensive, I'd rather waste that than bm.

I never thought when I was in my bf class that I would make it to a year, and I am so happy that I will, and it will go on after that.